2 graphic cards, multiple monitors possible?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

2 graphic cards, multiple monitors possible?

Post by minty_22 »

Has anyone successfully got 2 video cards working together on linux?
I tried with ubuntu, but it doesn't work.
you can read my thread here:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2357983
it seems no one has gotten it to work on Ubuntu,
so im thinking of moving over to linux mint, but i figured it would be the same, since it is linux also,
i know it works on windows, but i don't like windows,
will it be the same on mint? i don't want to reformat my computer for nothing
help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: 2 graphic cards, multiple monitors possible?

Post by roblm »

I don't think your setup with monitors connected to 2 different Nvidia GPUs will work, using the Nvidia driver, but it probably will work with Mint 17.1 MATE or Xfce using a custom xorg.conf file and Xinerama enabled. It also should work with Mint 18 using the nouveau driver, which you can test by running a live session using the Mint installation DVD or USB stick.

Using the Nvidia driver requires identical or similar GPUs:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... maglx.html
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

interesting! i never thought about using the live session with usb!

this is great, this will give me a chance to try out all of the linux distros without actually reformatting and see if it works!

i will report back here after my testing, hopefully one of them works, i need more monitors

thanks!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Your will only be able to test using the default nouveau driver when running a live session .
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

you are right! i just finished testing, and i can only test the default drivers, and not the nvidia, i really don't want to re-format my computer just for testing

i do have some spare hard drives which i could quickly swap and test this weekend, so i can keep my old operating system in case it doesn't work.

anyways, currently i have a GeForce GTX 970 & GeForce GT 640

so if i buy another one of those cards, mostly likely the gefore gt 640 since the 970 is still too expensive,

so i get another gtx 640, and only use both gtx 640, it would work right away? plug and play, without Xinerama?

the problem with Xinerama is that it combines them into one, i just want to use all monitors normally, separately

i will use my spare hard drive and install mint on it this weekend, as for buying another video card, i could do that but im not sure if it would work without Xinerama

windows was so easy with multiple monitors, but i hate windows, its not an option to go back,
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

Well i just tried mint 18 installed with nvidia drivers since neuvou drivers wouldn't work

results of mint 18 with nvidia drivers were that it works in xinerama, i am able to move firefox freely betwee all 6 monitors!

the problem is that when i maximize, firefox expands on all 6 monitors! this is unusable!

if i try without xinerama, i can see all my 6 monitors, but firefox only moves freely between the 4,

#'s 5&6 monitor i can right click and see the panel, but that it, im not even sure what it is, some sort of second desktop without the desktop

well looks like nvidia fixed the xinerama problem, last couple months ago, it wasnt working,

hopefully soon they will fix the problem of multiple video cards, am i right to say its nvidia the reason multiple video cards dont work? they are not quick enough to program that in the drivers?

i will try 17.1 xfe and mate tomorrow, but im expecting it to be the same?
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

is it even worth testing all the linux distros?

its the nvidia drivers that needs to be improved, on nvidia's side and not the linux kernel, right?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

minty_22 wrote:so i get another gtx 640, and only use both gtx 640, it would work right away? plug and play, without Xinerama?
I'm not sure of that. I don't remember any topic in the Mint forums where anyone has tried to connect 6 monitors to two different Nvidia cards using Mint 18.
minty_22 wrote:the problem with Xinerama is that it combines them into one, i just want to use all monitors normally, separately
You don't want an expanded desktop where windows can be moved across all the displays, but want all the displays cloned?

I'm surprised Xinerama worked with your dissimilar Nvidia cards. Did you enable it through NVIDIA X Server Settings? I'm also surprised that the nouveau driver doesn't work.

An alternative to Xinerama is Base Mosaic but it requires identical video cards and I think Nvidia has limited it's support to only 3 monitors in Linux but Windows doesn't have the limitation. Otherwise, a custom xorg.conf file would need to be tested. You would need to post some additional info by using these commands in the Terminal: inxi -SMCGx and xrandr

Nvidia definitely needs to improve multimonitor support using two or more different Nvidia cards.
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

I'm not sure of that. I don't remember any topic in the Mint forums where anyone has tried to connect 6 monitors to two different Nvidia cards using Mint 18.
I havent see that anywhere in any linux forums either, but i have seen that many people trying to do what im trying to do, but most were unsuccessful
You don't want an expanded desktop where windows can be moved across all the displays, but want all the displays cloned?
i want the expanded desktop where windows can be moved across all displays, xinerama allows me to do this, which is great but when i maximize the firefox or any programs/ windows, it expands to all 6 monitors, and not just 1 monitor, Xinerama seems good for video games or movies where you want to use all monitors as 1 monitor

Xinerama just started working after last months nvidia update, so it seems they have been busy fixing that,

i had to enable Xinerama in the settings and restart x server, it was easy, i guess the nouveau drivers don't work because i have 2 video cards, if i remove one of the video cards, then it will work,
but 1 video cards only has 4 monitor outputs, which all 4 work fine, but 4 is not enough, i want 8 all together

i had 10 monitors with 3 video cards using windows 5 years ago! it was awesome, i only just moved to linux 1 year ago because i could finally use 4 monitors, before it was only 3

i will try making a custom conf file but im it seems really difficult out of my skill level,

Nvidia definitely needs to improve multimonitor support using two or more different Nvidia cards.
maybe i can write them a letter
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Your particular multimonitor support problem can't be blamed entirely on Nvidia. The Linux developers are at fault too because it worked fine with Mint 17.1 MATE and older versions. I tested it myself and was involved in several similar topics.

With the nouveau driver enabled, were all 6 monitors shown in Preferences > Display?
minty_22 wrote:i will try making a custom conf file but im it seems really difficult out of my skill level,
If you want help with that, then post the info I requested in my previous post. Also use this command to create an xorg.conf file, which will have to be edited:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
Then use this command to open the file, to copy it's contents:

xed /etc/X11/xorg.conf
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

i just finished re-formatting my computer last night!!

i am officially on linux mint xfce 18.1 on my main desktop!! and i love it, it's way faster than ubuntu, way way faster! my memory was at about 95% on ubuntu

now with xfce is stays about 42% with all my programs, and i run alot of programs, i also like the start menu and taskbar configurations! its awesome!

i tried cinnamon but it crashed, i think its all the fancy desktop theme they have, i really don't need that fancy desktop, i just need something fast and simple, xfce seems to be working great!

Since i don't have a monitor arm, i can't use my 6th monitor but i ordered one from ebay today

anyways, the 5th monitor is working but it seems to be its own separate desktop, i can't drag things on the 5th monitor, but i can launch things, for example

i can launch firefox, but if its running on the 5th monitor, i must close it, and then i can launch it on the other 4 monitors, and vise versa

It seems as everything on video card 1 is it's own desktop and everything on video card 2 is it's own desktop,

For now i download a second browser(Opera) for my 5th monitor, this allowes me to use youtube on the 5th monitor and use firefox for all my other monitors,

can't wait for my monitor arm so i can use my 6th monitor, although im not sure what to put on my 6th monitor, maybe my virtual box windows 7

Here is the code you wanted:

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia-xconfig-original'
Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 375.39  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-09)  Tue Jan 31 20:47:44 PST 2017

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 361.42  (buildd@lgw01-18)  Tue Apr  5 14:33:28 UTC 2016

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" 6720 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "LG Electronics L206W"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: unknown, VertRefresh source: unknown
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 970"
    BusID          "PCI:4:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 640"
    BusID          "PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "DP-5: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +3360+0, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +5040+0"
# Removed Option "metamodes" "DP-5: nvidia-auto-select +5040+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +3360+0, DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-5"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-5: nvidia-auto-select +5040+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +3360+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

minty_22 wrote:i tried cinnamon but it crashed
This is what I meant in my first post. You would need identical or very similar video cards to use the Nvidia driver in Cinnamon.
minty_22 wrote:the 5th monitor is working but it seems to be its own separate desktop, i can't drag things on the 5th monitor
The xorg.conf file shows Xinerama is not enabled, so you have two separate screens. Open Nvidia Settings and enable it and check if there is now one extended desktop that works correctly. If not, then use the sudo nvidia-xconfig command again to generate a new file. You also need to post this additional info.

1. Use this command: xrandr --verbose
2. The brand and model number of all the monitors.
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

I enabled xinerama and now there is now 1 extended desktop, it works correctly

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 361.42  (buildd@lgw01-18)  Tue Apr  5 14:33:28 UTC 2016

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 375.39  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-09)  Tue Jan 31 20:47:44 PST 2017

Section "ServerLayout"

# Removed Option "Xinerama" "0"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 1680 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: unknown, VertRefresh source: unknown
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BoardName      "GeForce GTX 970"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 640"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "DP-5: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +3360+0, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +5040+0"
# Removed Option "metamodes" "DP-5: nvidia-auto-select +5040+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +3360+0, DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
# Removed Option "metamodes" "DP-5: nvidia-auto-select +5040+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +3360+0"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-5"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-5: nvidia-auto-select +3360+0, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +5040+0, DP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I typed in xrandr --verbose and got this message:

RandR extension missing

4 monitors all the same, LG Flatron Wide LG L206WTQ
1 monitor, samsung SyncMaster 225bw
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

minty_22 wrote:I typed in xrandr --verbose and got this message:

RandR extension missing
I should have said, if enabling Xinerama does not correctly combine the two screens into one extended desktop, then disable Xinerama and post the output of xrandr --verbose. When Xinerama is enabled, the RandR extension used by the X.Org Server is disabled, so xrandr commands won't work and neither will Settings > Display.

You said in your fourth post:
results of mint 18 with nvidia drivers were that it works in xinerama, i am able to move firefox freely betwee all 6 monitors!
the problem is that when i maximize, firefox expands on all 6 monitors! this is unusable!
I assume that is not happening now? If not, then this topic is finished?
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 6720 x 1050, maximum 16384 x 16384
DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x1be
	Timestamp:  172467852
	Subpixel:   unknown
	Clones:    
	CRTCs:      1 2 3 0
	Transform:  1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
	           filter: 
	CscMatrix: 65536 0 0 0 0 65536 0 0 0 0 65536 0 
	BorderDimensions: 4 
		supported: 4
	Border: 0 0 0 0 
		range: (0, 65535)
	SignalFormat: VGA 
		supported: VGA
	ConnectorType: DVI-I 
	ConnectorNumber: 0 
	_ConnectorLocation: 0 
DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x1bf
	Clones:    
	           filter: 
	SignalFormat: TMDS 
		supported: TMDS
	ConnectorType: DVI-I 
	ConnectorNumber: 0 
	_ConnectorLocation: 0 
HDMI-0 connected 1680x1050+5040+0 (0x1c1) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 474mm x 296mm
	Identifier: 0x1c0
	Gamma:      1.0:1.0:1.0
	Brightness: 1.0
	Clones:    
	CRTC:       2
	           filter: 
	EDID: 
		00ffffffffffff004c2d550232325044
		24100103802f1e782ad515a455499a27
		145054bfef80b30081808140714f0101
		01010101010121399030621a274068b0
		3600da281100001c000000fd00384b1e
		5111000a202020202020000000fc0053
		796e634d61737465720a2020000000ff
		004856464c3930313334350a20200045
	ConnectorType: HDMI 
	ConnectorNumber: 4 
	_ConnectorLocation: 4 
  1680x1050 (0x1c1) 146.250MHz -HSync +VSync *current +preferred
        h: width  1680 start 1784 end 1960 total 2240 skew    0 clock  65.29KHz
        v: height 1050 start 1053 end 1059 total 1089           clock  59.95Hz
  1280x1024 (0x1c2) 135.000MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width  1280 start 1296 end 1440 total 1688 skew    0 clock  79.98KHz
        v: height 1024 start 1025 end 1028 total 1066           clock  75.02Hz
  1280x1024 (0x1c3) 108.000MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width  1280 start 1328 end 1440 total 1688 skew    0 clock  63.98KHz
        v: height 1024 start 1025 end 1028 total 1066           clock  60.02Hz
  1280x960 (0x1c4) 108.000MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width  1280 start 1376 end 1488 total 1800 skew    0 clock  60.00KHz
        v: height  960 start  961 end  964 total 1000           clock  60.00Hz
  1152x864 (0x1c5) 108.000MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width  1152 start 1216 end 1344 total 1600 skew    0 clock  67.50KHz
        v: height  864 start  865 end  868 total  900           clock  75.00Hz
  1024x768 (0x1c6) 78.750MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width  1024 start 1040 end 1136 total 1312 skew    0 clock  60.02KHz
        v: height  768 start  769 end  772 total  800           clock  75.03Hz
  1024x768 (0x1c7) 75.000MHz -HSync -VSync
        h: width  1024 start 1048 end 1184 total 1328 skew    0 clock  56.48KHz
        v: height  768 start  771 end  777 total  806           clock  70.07Hz
  1024x768 (0x1c8) 65.000MHz -HSync -VSync
        h: width  1024 start 1048 end 1184 total 1344 skew    0 clock  48.36KHz
        v: height  768 start  771 end  777 total  806           clock  60.00Hz
  800x600 (0x1c9) 49.500MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width   800 start  816 end  896 total 1056 skew    0 clock  46.88KHz
        v: height  600 start  601 end  604 total  625           clock  75.00Hz
  800x600 (0x1ca) 50.000MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width   800 start  856 end  976 total 1040 skew    0 clock  48.08KHz
        v: height  600 start  637 end  643 total  666           clock  72.19Hz
  800x600 (0x1cb) 40.000MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width   800 start  840 end  968 total 1056 skew    0 clock  37.88KHz
        v: height  600 start  601 end  605 total  628           clock  60.32Hz
  800x600 (0x1cc) 36.000MHz +HSync +VSync
        h: width   800 start  824 end  896 total 1024 skew    0 clock  35.16KHz
        v: height  600 start  601 end  603 total  625           clock  56.25Hz
  640x480 (0x1cd) 31.500MHz -HSync -VSync
        h: width   640 start  656 end  720 total  840 skew    0 clock  37.50KHz
        v: height  480 start  481 end  484 total  500           clock  75.00Hz
  640x480 (0x1ce) 31.500MHz -HSync -VSync
        h: width   640 start  656 end  696 total  832 skew    0 clock  37.86KHz
        v: height  480 start  481 end  484 total  520           clock  72.81Hz
  640x480 (0x1cf) 25.175MHz -HSync -VSync
        h: width   640 start  656 end  752 total  800 skew    0 clock  31.47KHz
        v: height  480 start  490 end  492 total  525           clock  59.94Hz
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x1d0
	Clones:    
	           filter: 
	SignalFormat: DisplayPort 
		supported: DisplayPort
	ConnectorType: DisplayPort 
	ConnectorNumber: 1 
	_ConnectorLocation: 1 
DP-1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (0x1d2) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 434mm x 270mm
	Identifier: 0x1d1
	Clones:    
	CRTC:       3
	           filter: 
	EDID: 
		00ffffffffffff001e6d6956047f0300
		09110103ea2b1b78eacfc5a35a49a025
		125054a76b80950081808140714f0101
		0101010101017c2e90a0601a1e403020
		3600b20e1100001a21399030621a2740
		68b03600b20e1100001c000000fd0038
		4b1e530f000a202020202020000000fc
		004c323036570a20202020202020003a
	ConnectorNumber: 1 
	_ConnectorLocation: 1 
  1680x1050 (0x1d2) 119.000MHz +HSync -VSync *current +preferred
        h: width  1680 start 1728 end 1760 total 1840 skew    0 clock  64.67KHz
        v: height 1050 start 1053 end 1059 total 1080           clock  59.88Hz
  1680x1050 (0x1c1) 146.250MHz -HSync +VSync
  1440x900 (0x1d3) 106.500MHz -HSync +VSync
        h: width  1440 start 1520 end 1672 total 1904 skew    0 clock  55.93KHz
        v: height  900 start  903 end  909 total  934           clock  59.89Hz
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x1d4
	Clones:    
	           filter: 
	ConnectorNumber: 2 
	_ConnectorLocation: 2 
DP-3 connected primary 1680x1050+1680+0 (0x1d2) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 434mm x 270mm
	Identifier: 0x1d5
	Clones:    
	CRTC:       0
	           filter: 
	EDID: 
		00ffffffffffff001e6d69561f820300
		09110103ea2b1b78eacfc5a35a49a025
		004c323036570a20202020202020001c
	ConnectorNumber: 2 
	_ConnectorLocation: 2 
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x1d6
	Clones:    
	           filter: 
	ConnectorNumber: 3 
	_ConnectorLocation: 3 
DP-5 connected 1680x1050+3360+0 (0x1d2) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 434mm x 270mm
	Identifier: 0x1d7
	Clones:    
	CRTC:       1
	           filter: 
	EDID: 
		00ffffffffffff001e6d6956f2800400
		0a110103ea2b1b78eacfc5a35a49a025
		004c323036570a202020202020200049
	ConnectorNumber: 3 
	_ConnectorLocation: 3 

It's still happening, with xinerama enabled, i can use all 5 monitors and i can move firefox freely throughout all 5 monitors,
but when i click on the + sign on firefox or any other application, it expands from montor 1 all the way to monitor 5

i guess because it sees all 4 monitors as 1 big monitor,

currently i am using 5 monitors

video card 1
monitor 1 = surf the net
monitor 2 = surf the net
monitor 3 = watch movies
monitor 4 = watch the weather and system monitor

video card 2
monitor 5 = Virtualbox Windows7

so i can move things freely between 4 monitors, but not the last monitor,

so for now, since i only have my virtual box on the 5th monitor, it's no necessary for that one to move freely to any of the monitor,

unless you think its possible to configure it, but i can live with this setup! its great! works better than ubuntu,

now i just have to wait until my monitor arm gets delivered so i can add a 6th and final monitor, but sure what i will put there,
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

These two statements contradict each other:
i can use all 5 monitors and i can move firefox freely throughout all 5 monitors,
so i can move things freely between 4 monitors, but not the last monitor,
First open the File Manager and go to /home/your-user-name/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml and check for a displays.xml file. Remove it if it exists or it may conflict with the new xorg.conf file to be created.

Then use this command to rename the existing xorg.conf file to xorg.conf.old:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
Then use this command to create a new file:

gksudo xed /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In the opened empty file, copy and paste these lines:

Section "ServerLayout"      	
    Identifier     "Layout0"                                 
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    Screen      2  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"
    Screen      3  "Screen3" RightOf "Screen2"
    Screen      4  "Screen4" RightOf "Screen3"
    Option       "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "DP-1"
    ModelName    "LG Electronics L206W"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "DP-3"
    ModelName   "LG Electronics L206W"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "DP-5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "HDMI-0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor5"
    ModelName   "SyncMaster 225bw"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device2"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Screen 2
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device3"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Screen 3   
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device4"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "DP-1"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "DP-3"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option       "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DP-3"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen2"
    Device         "Device2"
    Monitor        "DP-5"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen3"
    Device         "Device3"
    Monitor        "HDMI-0"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen4"
    Device         "Device4"
    Monitor        "Monitor5"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection
Log out and back in and check for correct operation of all 5 displays. If there is a problem getting back to the desktop, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter the virtual console tty1. Login and then type this command to restore the original xorg.conf file:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then type: sudo reboot
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

it works! but.. there is a problem with desktop icons

Here is what i did,
There was no displays.xml file, so there was nothing to delete,
i ran your commands rebooted and it worked!

I was able to move firefox and every application throughout all monitors! without any problems,

But then i discovered there was a problem with the desktop icons,

All of my desktop icons/shortcuts where all aligned on 1 monitor, so i tried to move them back to their position

But as soon as i clicked on it, and started to move it to the position i wanted, 4 of the monitors went blank/black

then it seems to of have frozen, i could see and move the mouse cursor, but i was only able to move it on 1 monitor(the monitor with the desktop icons) the windows button didn't work when i pressed it,
So i had to reboot,
I tried again, this time i made a shortcut from the start menu and it went to the desktop, the same place the other desktop icons were, again i tried to move the icon to another screen, and my other monitors went blank/black,
I can click on the desktop icons and use them fine, but as soon as i try moving them my screens go blank/black,

Currently, how the icons work without your file, i can place and move the desktop icons anywhere on 4 monitors without any problems, but not the 5th monitor,
on the 5th monitor, there is a copy of all my desktop icons, the icons from monitors 1 to 4, all aligned up. if i try to move them, i am able to move them but freely anywhere, but just on the 5th moniitor,
as soon as i try to move the icons outside the 5th monitor to the other monitors, i goes back to the 5th monitor,

in short, the duplicate icons on monitor 5, wont let me move them to any other monitors, but it doesn't freeze or anything, if i try, but its not a big deal since my icons are placed throughout 3 monitors, and my 5th monitor were the duplicated are, is up high so i hide the duplicate icons behind my virtual vm,
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

If you maximize Firefox or another app, does it now stay on only one monitor?

In Cinnamon, but not MATE or Xfce, there is an option in Preferences > Desktop to change the default setting Show desktop icons on primary monitor only to Show desktop icons on all monitors.

Try disabling desktop compositing by opening Window Manager Tweaks, clicking the Compositor tab and unmarking the checkbox next to Enable display compositing.
Last edited by roblm on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty_22 »

if i maximize firefox it says only on 1 monitor, so its perfect, works exactly like windows,

i looked in windows manager tweaks, and it was already disabled, i tested it with enabled and then disabled, just in case, but it doesn't do anything

i don't want to move away from Xfce, isn't Xfce lightweight? its super fast! i like it a lot, its not giving me problems,

i could quickly try cinnamon on my spare ssd, and try what you have told me, and change that settings with show desktop icons on primary monitor only, i want to see if it works, but even if it works, i heard its not as lightweight as Xfce? i don't need a fancy desktop, simple and fast is good,

but should i try it? ok i will, it might be a couple days until i can try cinnamon,
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You mentioned in your seventh post:
i tried cinnamon but it crashed
So it will not work correctly unless you have identical or very similar video cards but even then, will everything work??? With Linux you can't be certain.

Try testing these 2 xorg.conf files. Use this command to open the file for editing and then remove all the lines and add the new ones:

gksudo xed /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"      	
    Identifier     "Layout0"                                 
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    Screen      2  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"
    Screen      3  "Screen3" RightOf "Screen2"
    Screen      4  "Screen4" RightOf "Screen3"
    Option       "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection