Radeon RX560 using software rendering mode

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mauka

Radeon RX560 using software rendering mode

Post by Mauka »

Linux Mint 18.1 Serena "Cinnamon 64-bit" with Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 card

After installing new RX 560 card the system boots to software rendering mode. I would like to use AMDGPU Open Source Drivers.

Previous to this I was using built-in Intel HD620 graphics with no problems, and before that a GTX 1060 card with Nividia graphics drivers - but removed that card and drivers.

I read that AMDGPU is supposed to install and be used by default but my system either doesn't have those installed or is not using them.

Suggestions?

Thank you, Alan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mauka

Solved: Radeon RX560 using software rendering mode

Post by Mauka »

Solved problem my switching to Ubuntu
rebelyell72

Re: Radeon RX560 using software rendering mode

Post by rebelyell72 »

i isnstalled linux amd drivers just fine from amd site. amdgpu shows as being used. maybe u have a driver sticking somewhere blocking it. also ubuntu is comming to an end as mentioned april 5th. hope this helps a little.
zonder88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zonder88 »

rebelyell72 wrote:ubuntu is comming to an end as mentioned april 5th
what does this mean?

I am having the same problem with my new PC using Mint 18.1. I've installed the AMDGPU drivers from http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... Notes.aspx - note that this driver is for AMD Radeon RX 560 on Ubuntu 16.04 - my card is actually an MSI Radeon RX 550.. it shouldn't make a difference though.

"So if you want to use a Radeon RX 550 with the open-source driver, you need to be using Mesa Git within the past day....The AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 driver does work fine with the Radeon RX 550"
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... inux&num=2

(in the install script I also change $ID from ubuntu to linuxmint around line 60 so those drivers install)

Anyhow, now every time I load Mint it says Cinnamon crashes and should I restart?

In the driver manager it says this "unknown - device is using an alternative driver"
and there is an option to use:

amd64-microcode
version 2.20160316.1 (processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs)

when I select it same things happens, stays in software rendering mode. Loading from the USB key, the computer stays in software rendering mode.. does that mean the open source drivers don't work either?

Perhaps I should go to Ubuntu as well.. damn. I wonder what the problem is.

thanks.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

AMD is currently having troubles with drivers for Mint 18. This post tells how to get some AMD cards working, but unfortunately yours is not on the list:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=229229
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The rx5xx series is a refresh of the rx4xx series. His card is supported by that driver. That super awesome post you linked has not been updated since the rx5xx launch.
zonder88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zonder88 »

Citizen229 wrote:His card is supported by that driver. That super awesome post you linked has not been updated since the rx5xx launch.
Yeah, I saw that post earlier today, and where it says "Replace the code currently in the install script with this code" I tried that and the script wouldn't run, some directory error or something and I played with it for about 5mins. I also tried doing a simple replace of "ubuntu" with "linuxmint" in one spot on the original install script and it installed, but the graphic card still couldn't be identified.

Anyway, I've been working on this all day, and ended up justing installing Ubuntu with the AMDGPU driver and it works. Probably not the ideal solution - the latest Mesa drivers on the latest Mint would be better.
Screenshot from 2017-06-20 22-35-12.png
thanks.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=242474

here is another link to try or maybe you have tried. If it works for ubuntu and not Mint I suspect your Mint kernal may need updated to make the driver work properly. whatever kernal your unbuntu is using try a mint install and update to that kernal. Or one close to it start with say4.10.
zonder88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zonder88 »

Citizen229 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=59&t=242474

here is another link to try or maybe you have tried. If it works for ubuntu and not Mint I suspect your Mint kernal may need updated to make the driver work properly. whatever kernal your unbuntu is using try a mint install and update to that kernal. Or one close to it start with say4.10.
thanks, Mint 18.1 comes with Kernel 4.4.0-53 (I just booted it up with the usb key to see) whereas "Ubuntu 16.04.2 installs a 4.8 kernel for new installations." source
- my Ubuntu is currently 4.8.036

Kind of silly that Mint 18.1 comes with 4.4 presuming that this was the reason it failed recognizing the graphic card all this time. Sticking with Ubuntu for now.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Its not that silly. the rx5xx series is new. It may be a refresh of the rx4xx series but the firmware is slightly different. The updated kernel will have new instructions for card detection. There is so little difference in the 2 series, they have a kind of firmware hack, that will let the rx4 series draw the extra power like a rx5 series. This puts them close with the 5x being able to handle the voltages better.
cm1

Post by cm1 »

My post here might be relevant to some of you:

viewtopic.php?f=239&t=266999

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”