Mint 17 and 18 and now 19 AMD GPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 17 and 18 AMDGPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Post by MurphCID »

What about vega graphics on an amd based laptop? I need to replace my dead laptop with a newer one and Best Buy has a ryzen 5 laptop with vega graphics, but I don’t want to get it Unless I can get the graphics to work. Also will the default drivers work alright?
sebadamus

Post by sebadamus »

spitzak wrote: The main trick is that xorg-server must be updated to xorg 1.19 or the modules won't load due to ABI mismatch. This may require you to enable the unstable packages repository: apt install xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04
Thanks, it worked when installed apt install xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04 packet before the amd drivers amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

Hi !
I have upgraded and using the kernel 4.13.0-26-generic now !
from what i know amdgpu-pro doesn't support this kernel so if i install it it would probably broke the system.
What do you suggest me ? My graphics card is supported by amdgpu-pro but not by opensource amdgpu , i'm using radeon right now !
spitzak

Post by spitzak »

xrhstaras wrote:Hi !
I have upgraded and using the kernel 4.13.0-26-generic now !
from what i know amdgpu-pro doesn't support this kernel so if i install it it would probably broke the system.
What do you suggest me ? My graphics card is supported by amdgpu-pro but not by opensource amdgpu , i'm using radeon right now !
I think the newest version of the driver does not use the kernel module any more and should work.
focamichi

Post by focamichi »

I can confirm that driver amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655 is working fine with this combination:

R9 390
Linux Mint 18.3
kernel 4.13.0-32

Ps. I followed advice here and upgraded xorg-server to version 1.19.5 at first.
Then I run the installer with option: --opencl=legacy

I also tried to install this driver on kernel 4.15.4 but that didn't work.
spitzak

Post by spitzak »

An obvious problem is that there is no program to control the card. In particular I am unable to enable FSAA, I think (well at least Blender seems incapable of using it). Also of a concern to gamers is you cannot fiddle with the temperature and other settings.

Anybody have any hints on what software is needed for this and whether it exists or ever will exist?
Gorthok

Post by Gorthok »

Hey guys, I'm quite new to Linux, switched over about a month ago and installed mint 18.3 on both of my machines. So far I have really enjoyed the experience, most of the software and hardware I use were either plug and play, or required a bit of googling around to fix.

The GPU drivers for my desktop are being my first major roadblock with the mint platform The device manager doesn't recognize my GPU, it only recognizes my CPU. On my laptop, which has an Nvidia card, both the CPU and GPU were recognized by the Device Manager and it was very straightforward. I have a Radeon HD 7790, and this post is instructing me to this https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ site, which is not very concise on what I need to do in order to install my drivers. Is there any sort of guide on how to get things done?

Here's what the command "$ sudo lshw -C video" gives me as output, perhaps that will help:

Code: Select all

*-display               
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Bonaire XT [Radeon HD 7790/8770 / R7 360 / R9 260/360 OEM]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: 00
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
       resources: irq:26 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f07fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7e00000-f7e3ffff memory:c0000-dffff
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
spitzak

Post by spitzak »

Try my instructions on the previous page viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059&start=20#p1403233

This installs the amdgpu-pro drivers. It requires the x11 to be updated to the one that Ubuntu uses so that the drivers (designed for Ubuntu) work. Also instructions on how to edit out the Ubuntu-specific parts of the installation script that stop it from working.
Gorthok

Post by Gorthok »

Thanks for your reply, however the first post in this thread explicitly says that I should not attempt to install amdgpu-pro drivers as my card is not on the list. Which advice do I follow? :)
johnfante

Post by johnfante »

spitzak wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:34 pm Try my instructions on the previous page viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059&start=20#p1403233

This installs the amdgpu-pro drivers. It requires the x11 to be updated to the one that Ubuntu uses so that the drivers (designed for Ubuntu) work. Also instructions on how to edit out the Ubuntu-specific parts of the installation script that stop it from working.
Thank you for the instructions. Followed the to the letter and they worked fine on:

R9 290X
Kernel 4.13.0.36-generic

Just one quick question: Is there a kind for AMD control center or something in the driver?
NUMDI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NUMDI »

hello, i would like to know if using the amdgpu-pro drive n editing the scrip will give me sound thru hdmi ? im now using a fresh install of 18.3 n running the 4.13 kernel. im using rx460 video card n on old drive with multi-upgades ending with 18.3 i had to use the 4.9.15+ kernel w/ ppa. to get sound that drive still works but having boot issues. i would like to have sound on freash drive n need some help please. im happy with the video performance i just dont have sound.. ive read alot of posts. n copied n pasted so much stuff nothing seems to work so now im finally asking for help....thank you.
note: if my sound problem isnt related to this topic i apologize it seemed like the closest place to ask. any re-direction for help would be great

here is some info...
numdi@numdi-desktop ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: numdi-desktop Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A99FX PRO R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
Bios: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 04/07/2014
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 72242
clock speeds: max: 4500 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1700 MHz
4: 1400 MHz 5: 1400 MHz 6: 1700 MHz 7: 1400 MHz 8: 1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 67ef bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS11 (DRM 3.18.0 / 4.13.0-36-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device aae0
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-36-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: c000 bus-ID: 09:00.0
IF: enp9s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 400.1GB (6.1% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BEKT size: 320.1GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HDS72168 size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 278G used: 7.8G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 21.6C mobo: N/A gpu: 33.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 227 Uptime: 1:01 Memory: 934.9/15940.9MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
numdi@numdi-desktop ~ $

numdi@numdi-desktop ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 3: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
numdi@numdi-desktop ~ $
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

focamichi wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:54 am I can confirm that driver amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655 is working fine with this combination:

R9 390
Linux Mint 18.3
kernel 4.13.0-32

Ps. I followed advice here and upgraded xorg-server to version 1.19.5 at first.
Then I run the installer with option: --opencl=legacy

I also tried to install this driver on kernel 4.15.4 but that didn't work.
I basically have the same but a 460. How can you tell it it works? I seen to be having uses. Thanks
focamichi

Post by focamichi »

bryantjopplin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:24 am I basically have the same but a 460. How can you tell it it works? I seen to be having uses. Thanks
I'm running Boinc and crunching openCL tasks (Einstein@Home). There haven't been errors so far. I don't know if this system could handle gaming environment or if audio through HDMI is working, but for desktop and Einstein this works. Kernel has been upgraded to 4.13.0-36 by now. That went fine (didn't need to uninstall or reinstall anything).
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

Sorry I was meaning how can you tell the right drivers are being used? In ubuntu I was able to tell in system info as before installation it would say amd graphics and then after it said Amd RX460.

Thanks
focamichi wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 am
bryantjopplin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:24 am I basically have the same but a 460. How can you tell it it works? I seen to be having uses. Thanks
I'm running Boinc and crunching openCL tasks (Einstein@Home). There haven't been errors so far. I don't know if this system could handle gaming environment or if audio through HDMI is working, but for desktop and Einstein this works. Kernel has been upgraded to 4.13.0-36 by now. That went fine (didn't need to uninstall or reinstall anything).
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

Having issues using the unintall function. What are you meaning by editing it? I see the install has a function in there as uninstall but not sure in you remove the install function.
Thanks

Edit just ran ampgpu-pro-uninstall in home directory and that worked.
spitzak wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 pm Success with mint Cinnamon 18.3 and the newest amdgpu-pro driver (17.50)! This is with a Radeon Vega Frontier Edition card, though I have reason to believe this will work with other cards if you download the correct driver. OpenGL and OpenCL work and seem to be at least as fast as Windows (which is using a slightly older driver). Have not tested Vulkan or video acceleration.

The main trick is that xorg-server must be updated to xorg 1.19 or the modules won't load due to ABI mismatch. This may require you to enable the unstable packages repository: apt install xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

Download the driver from AMD. Go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download and then use "manually select your driver". For me I had to choose "Professional Graphics", "Radeon Vega Frontier Edition", "Radeon Vega Frontier Edition", and "Linux", hit "Display Results". Point at the Download buttons to see what version you are getting, you want 17.50 or better for Ubuntu (note this is newer than the ones indicated by most help I could find on the web, the older ones work but they compile a kernel module and otherwise seem more complex, I believe 17.50 is the first "open source" one). You do not need the "preinstall" script. Hit the correct Download button.

Unpack (change the number to what you downloaded):
cd ~/Downloads
tar -Jxvf amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655.tar.xz
cd amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655

Fix the Ubuntu-specific script to work on Mint using some editor: nano amdgpu-pro-install. Replace ubuntu) with linuxmint), and in a new twist in 17.50, remove the ${1+"$@"} after $APT (This appears to be for sending switches given to the script to apt, but it truncates the command line instead, I don't know enough bash to figure out why, and may be a bug in Mint's apt, or a bug in this script).

Run the install script like this: ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=rocm It says to use legacy in place of rocm for "pre Vega10". I wasted some time trying to figure out if my card is "Vega10", AMD manages to not tell me anywhere, but I suspect it is true of anything called "Vega".

Other installation instructions said to do usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME. I don't know if it is necessary, you might want to try without it.

And then sudo reboot and enjoy!

If it screws up, look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Search for "amd" just to see if it is trying to find it, and then look for "unloaded" to find failed modules. If it complains about "ABI major version" then you need to change which xorg you are using. If you can't get it to work you can run amdgpu-pro-uninstall, note that for that to work you must edit then install script in-place as it copies it and runs it again to uninstall!
focamichi

Post by focamichi »

bryantjopplin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:31 pm Sorry I was meaning how can you tell the right drivers are being used? In ubuntu I was able to tell in system info as before installation it would say amd graphics and then after it said Amd RX460.
Command "inxi -Gx" says GLX version is currently: ".... CPC 17.50.2.13".
When this system was still running amdgpu-pro 17.30 that same line said CPC 17.30.

I I uninstalled this driver (or amdgpu-pro) that line would say something very different. I can't remember anymore what it was.
spitzak

Post by spitzak »

What I meant is that it may be tempting to copy the install script to a different name, edit it there to change Ubuntu to Linuxmint, and run that. Unfortunately one of the install steps is to copy the original script and name it the "uninstall" script, and that would copy the Ubuntu checks and then the uninstall will not work. I discovered this by accident...

So you have to edit the install script in-place before running it or the uninstall won't work.

For me it was pretty obvious the driver was working, because without it I got the fallback driver which set a very low resolution, and no OpenGL programs worked.

There does not appear to be any kind of control panel program for global settings on the card.
wizworm

Post by wizworm »

Actually very informative post. Been having such problems for a bit since I upgraded to RX560 couple of days ago and getting the "Unsuported OS" response.

Will try later today the installation process proposed, but until then, has anybody tried the amdgpu-pro-...-17.50 with kernel 4.13.xx.xx? I mean, scanning the post I only saw posts about 4.8 and 4.10...

Cheers!

Edit:

Oooook... Must have been blind or smthg... Just saw there's there...
Geeklund

Post by Geeklund »

I followed the steps here and got the 17.50 drivers installed just fine on 4.13. Just one question though. A

Code: Select all

lshw -c video
shows the driver as "amdgpu", while I've seen many others listed as "amdgpu-pro" in lshw. The card is a R9 290X. Did I somehow install the wrong driver, or is the "pro" version just for later cards?
cm1

Post by cm1 »

I managed to get the open-source amdgpu driver working under LMDE 2 (Debian 8 Jessie oldstable), maybe this will help you all on the Main Edition?: viewtopic.php?f=239&t=266999

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”