Mint 17 and 18 and now 19 AMD GPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Citizen229

Mint 17 and 18 and now 19 AMD GPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Post by Citizen229 »

No one has made a sticky and one needs made. AMD has made alot of confusion. So please sticky this.

NEW: With the addition of Mint 19 these rules still apply. Mint does not control the drivers AMD does. Cards not supported will never get drivers, no matter how many Mint editions come out.

EDIT: The first thing you need to do is know what card you have. This is most needed in the desktop arena. The card list below does not show HDXXXX series card. A quick trip to wikipedia will show your video cards GCN archetecture. If your card is listed as GCN 1st gen, your card is considered NOT on the list below. If it is 2nd gen or greater, it is consider ON the list.

For APU/mobile:
  • The first constantly repeated issue is for mobile GPUs as well as APUs (AMD processor with builtin graphics chip). If you have these video devices on Mint 18.x, You will only have the option of the open source driver in the driver manager. Do not try any other driver, they will not work.
  • For Mint 17.3, we have a different story. These devices have a second option of the FGLRX drivers in the driver manager. Do not try any other driver other than these 2, it will not work. As well as only recommended until 17.3 EOL.
For desktops:
  • For desktops we get better options, but AMD made great confusion as there is only a select numbers of cards supported by their new drivers.
  • The list of cards for the new drivers:

Code: Select all

​Radeon RX 5xx graphics
    Radeon™ RX 480 Graphics
    ​Radeon™ RX 470 Graphics
    ​Radeon™ RX 460 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 390X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 390 Graphics ​
    AMD Radeon™ R9 380X Graphics
    ​​AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Graphics

AMD Radeon™ R9 M395X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 M385 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 M380 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 M270X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 360 Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 290X Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 285 Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R7 260X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R7 260 Graphics
If your card is NOT on this list DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL AMDGPU-PRO driver from AMD website. You are stuck with open source drivers on Mint 18. For Mint 17 cards not on the list can still use the FGLRX drivers from the driver manager.

For those whose card IS on the list :
  • For Mint 17, you can use open source or FGLRX from the driver manager.
  • For Mint 18 you can use open source by default. For the AMDGPU-PRO driver you MUST upgrade to kernel 4.8 FIRST (and REBOOT), before you install the driver (and REBOOT).
  • The kernel requirements are that of the driver. When using AMD supplied drivers you may/will be required to update the kernel in the future. AMD actually puts this on their website, and folks still miss it for some reason.
  • In the future the list may become inaccurate. AMD may chose to drop older cards in the future. And obvious they will add newer cards as they come out with them.
BONUS: For those who need OPEN CL 2 instructions (example: folding@home). As of this post, the Open Source as well as FGLRX drivers do not have it. The AMDGPU-PRO driver do.

Tutorial for AMDGPU-PRO driver issues: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=242474 No clue how many more months this will be valid.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Alchemek

Re: Mint 17 and 18 AMDGPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Post by Alchemek »

For those who are interested primarily in open source video drivers for AMD video cards, I recommend referring to the following link: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

By referring to this link and choosing a video card based on it, you guarantee open source video driver support for yourself. I have done so personally. I bought the AMD Radeon R7 250 based on this information, and I have solid performance with this card because it is supported. By choosing another card that is not supported by the open source drivers, you either are choosing to rely primarily on proprietary video driver support, or you will have limited to no driver support. I'm in favor of open source drivers because it requires no configuration and you're up and running; you simply install Linux Mint, and you can already play your games.

TL;DR: Refer to the above link for information about video cards that are supported by the open source video drivers; by doing so, you guarantee a stress-free video card experience on Linux, since open source video driver support guarantees a working out-of-the-box video card experience. Out-of-the-box support is, after all, one of the strengths of Linux Mint. ;)
heinhuiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by heinhuiz »

I have a Gigabyte Radeon RX570, but when I try to install the Ubuntu drivers using the method from https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articl ... stall.aspx it replies: "Unsupported OS" and quits.

uname -a responds:

Code: Select all

Linux heinhuizLinux 4.8.0-58-generic #63~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 26 18:08:51 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I must have the right kernel and Ubuntu version (I'm using Mint 18.2 Sonya with Mate).

What can be wrong?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The instructions are provided by the link in the first post. Inside that link is a section explaining how to change the file from unbuntu to mint.

I provided a link with walk through instructions, did you follow it?
heinhuiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by heinhuiz »

Iḿ very sorry Citizen229, I completely missed the last sentence and thus the link. Now it installs fine, thank you very much.

I have one additional question though: according to the Software Manager, I also have "Xserver-xorg-video-radeon-pro" installed. Should I leave that or remove it also?
Last edited by heinhuiz on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I cannot comment on that. I am now an Nvidia user. If it does not present issues, i would let it be. Unless someone knows specifically what that driver is and does.
heinhuiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by heinhuiz »

Well, I do have an issue, because since installing the AMD drivers, Power Management cannot get the display to sleep. The screen blanks and the monitor turns itself off, but after 5 seconds and then the screen wakes up again. Strange thing is, putting the computer to sleep does actually work.
Removing the readon-pro package does not solve that.
daxh

Post by daxh »

Hello to everyone. I have a PC with A10, R9 290, trying to install LM 18.2 Cinn. Trying to install amdgpu-pro drivers but with no luck. After system reboot I see a black screen with blincking cursor.

The following command
inxi -Fx
gives me
Graphics: Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev, vesa) FAILED: amdgpu

All my actions based on the recommended threads:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=242474#p1346163

Any ideas will be great. Probably should I provide additional info.
Crystallas

Post by Crystallas »

First keep in mind that Kernel 4.10 is a requirement for AMDGPU-PRO 17.30
And yes, the install file needs that line change from ubuntu to linuxmint.

I find that installing AMDGPU-PRO, rebooting to a failed X startup, then updating/building the kernel from the terminal seems to fix my issues. It has fixed my issues since AMDGPU 17.10 and for some applications is worth it over xorg drivers(which have been outstanding recently with newer x11 versions and the open AMDGPU stack over the FGLRX days).

My card is a HD 7850 (same as the R260 which both have been supported by AMDGPU since 17.10), but my CPU is a Ryzen so it is still benefiting from newest kernels, but by bare minimum runs best with at least 4.11. So FGLRX is out of the question. Everything is running perfectly fine for me after using the above method. Seems like we lack documentation and solid communication more than good hardware.
Of course, if DKMS or similar was properly implemented for AMDGPU-PRO, this would be a lot easier for all of us. I've heard that is in the works, so crossing fingers.

Uninstalling AMDGPU drivers also have been very clean for me. I don't want to encourage someone to break a perfectly functioning system with a supported AMD GPU/APU, but if you can't help yourself just remember the commands to reverse your actions from terminal if something doesn't work out. Per the AMDGPU how-to https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articl ... stall.aspx
amdgpu-pro-uninstall
and only if that fails,
sudo apt purge amdgpu*
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
cero10

Post by cero10 »

So are the HD7950 and r9 280x supported by mint 17/18 by some bypass?
Crystallas

Post by Crystallas »

cero10 wrote:So are the HD7950 and r9 280x supported by mint 17/18 by some bypass?
Yes as far as the open driver. But you will need to understand a few things.
Mint 17 and 18 are different, as far as options and prerequisites. A lot has to do with AMD replacing the lead developer who maintained the linux driver after he took a much more lucrative job at HP(I believe at least.) So we had a pretty painful gap between xwayland transitions and DRM(direct rendering manager, not digital rights) integration in the kernel while AMD jumpstarted what became mostly a rewrite and restructure of the driver code for GCN cards(like the two you mentioned).

Both will use the xorg open source driver. In 17, it will use the xorg ati driver. In 18 it will(should, depending on if it's a clean 18 original ISO install or if you're wise and just use 18.2 Sonya) use the newer xorg amdgpu open source driver(not to be confused with the proprietary amdgpu driver called AMDGPU-PRO).

Then you also need to be aware of kernels that break x11 with some combinations of different drivers. So my advise for anyone with a GCN card, just install Mint 18.2 and if you have issues, work your way back to the problem so they can be addressed on the forums. Mint 17.3 EOL is April 2019, so that's really up to you. 18.x EOL is April 2021. Mostly at this point, and using the default and VERY good xorg amdgpu driver, you should have no issues. It's only when you want to use AMDGPU-PRO, you will need to follow the instructions in the top post. AMDGPU-PRO is not, as far as I can tell, supported by Mint. AMD supports AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu 16.04, which is what Mint 18.x shares bases with.
tchavei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tchavei »

Hi

So you're saying that with a 4.10/4.11 kernel and 17.30 AMDgpu pro drivers, you can fix the black screen of cinnamon death after reboot with a kernel compilation in text mode?

How do you do that? I used to compile kernels in the 90s but with mint I just use the update Manager.

Thx
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I just ordered my self a media center PC. I went with FM2+ socket and A10-7860k APU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeo ... 875.0.html

According to the link the 7800 series APU is Hawaii based and therefor gcn2. I will be attempting to install the gpu pro drivers(on mint 18) to see if by chance they work. This will be relevant information as the new AM4 APU's (revamp of a10 series) are the same R7 based graphics. The new revamped APU will have folks asking questions so I am going to dive in The 7800 series is listed as rx240 and 250 bard GPU, and as listed above is not supported. The new AM4 based are listed as 3rd gen gcn and may actually work, but the actual card used is not listed. The AM4 socket APU will have to be for someone else to experiment with.

Not getting my hopes up, I assume after much effort and assistance, I will be using Mint 17.3 for this media center until EOL. At which point I will most likely go with a gtx 1030 low profile card.

The AM4 product line is a pathway to upgrade Media Centers... Which run KODI... which is linux... seems AMD just shot themselves in the foot with drivers. Why spend coin on new revamped chip when driver support is not there untill the vega based in another 18 months.
daret

Post by daret »

I remember I was able to run AMDGPU PRO driver on some older APU. But it was some older Version, when new version came out, it didn't work anymore (I'll try to found more information, when I'll be home).

But, I got better results with mesa and recent kernel.

You can try it:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+a ... tu/updates

or if you have enough time, you can try something experimental :)
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... s-drivers/
and
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... horonix%29
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Some good linkage there.Ssince this will be a complete new rig with fresh install I will surely give this a shot. Im hoping to have all my components by this weekend.
daret

Post by daret »

I tested it 1 year ago on AMD Athlon X4 5350 - AMD Radeon HD 8400 with AMDGPU PRO Ver. 16.20 (not sure, or maybe 15.xxx), but mesa worked better.

Nowadays everything is better for AMD GPU.
Without new AMD DC patches, probably your HDMI Audio will not work with mesa.

Alternative you can use optical output for audio and hdmi for video only.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Well my CPU and mobo came in today. Stole 8 gigs of ram from main rig(which 16 gigs was overkill anyways), The case is no where to be found yet. Soo.. My mitx board is now installed im my ATX case. Boy oh boy, there is alot of real estate in there now. got my drives all swapped around and set up and now thats its almost time to head to work, I am set up to fiddle.

Im going to be shooting for hdmi video and audio. I have a small sound system so hdmi to TV and when I want the sound system , I just switch pulse audio to the onboard audio.
MrMuffin

Post by MrMuffin »

So, if I'm running an A6 7400K, which driver do I need? Tried looking at the xorg page but it looks like complete gibberish to me, and from the list at the top of this thread it looks like I can't use the PRO drivers. I can't figure out what I have beyond "Radeon R5" built into the processor. Thanks.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

you have an APU, sooo.. Open source mint 18, or open and FGLRX mint 17.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Well the results are in. As expected I could not get an APU to run the new driver stack. I would assume the excavator revamp chips are in the same boat. Seems kind of crappy for the chip refresh and no support for it. I mean APU's are media center chips and almost all media centers run linux/kodi.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”