Mint 17 and 18 and now 19 AMD GPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
briandh25

Re: Mint 17 and 18 AMDGPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Post by briandh25 »

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a newbie or a too-broad question but is it known if this issue will be fixed in Mint 19 without any workarounds?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Mint 19 is a ways off. I would assume eventually the devs would select a driver version for the AMDGPU drivers and set it up in the driver manager. At this point, AMD is updating the driver frequently. Mint 19 being down the road will give AMD plenty of time to get their drivers hashed out.
briandh25

Post by briandh25 »

Thank you for your reply!

I know that I'm thinking too far ahead with this but the thing is that I really like Mint out of all the other distros I've tried and I wouldn't like to be forced to use another one, let alone go back to Windows again, especially now that I got quite used to it.

Even though I enjoy all the tinkering and stuff, I also want reliability. Sometimes we can't afford something that might suddenly break out of nowhere.
mperkel

Post by mperkel »

I have;

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland PRO [Radeon R7 240/340]

Anything I can do or should I just get a new graphics card? And which one?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

mperkel wrote:Anything I can do or should I just get a new graphics card?
Do regarding what? You don't need anything; you are currently running well-accelerated using the "radeon" driver. You will moreover in the future have access to AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO; Oland is GCN1 (aka."Southern Island"), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_ ... Islands.29, which is to say that for now your card is only experimentally supported by AMDGPU (which you shouldn't bother with unless you're an expert) but will in the future be fully supported.

As to when "future" is only AMD knows -- but note once again that you are NOT missing out on anything currently. The "radeon" driver supports your card fine.
mperkel

Post by mperkel »

I bought a couple Samsung 32" TV sets to use as monitors and the text looked really bad. It almost looked that old CRTs with bad convergence. What should be a thin black vertical line seemed to have colored edges.

I thought it was the monitors. But I have a Windows 10 laptop so I thought I'd try it our and everything looks great. So I'm trying to understand why it looks like crap running Linux Mint and great running Windows?

What am I missing?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

mperkel wrote:What am I missing?
Functional DDC? Was the Windows 10 laptop connected through the same cable to the same input on the TV?

Please post the output of inxi -Gx; it'll show you both which driver you are using and which resolution has been selected. You can with e.g. xrandr -s 1920x1080 for "1920x1080" any of the resolutions shown by plain xrandr see if anything works -- but if it would, things would've automatically been better so probably not. If you can attach or upload somewhere /var/log/Xorg.0.log we may be able to say something...

To a moderator: it would probably by the way be better to move the remainder of this subthread elsewhere...
mperkel

Post by mperkel »

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Oland PRO [Radeon R7 240/340] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 210x50 Advanced Data: N/A for root

Maybe I should explain more. I do have 2 24" monitors that I'm using now that are 1080 resolution that work pretty well. That's why I was surprised the Samsung 32 inch monitors looked so bad. At first I just thought the Samsung TVs were somehow unsuited for monitor use, but it works fine plugged into a Windows laptop.

So - just trying to understand what Windows is doing right that Linux isn't doing.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You didn't confirm/deny the W10 laptop being hooked up through the same cable to the same input on the TV.

Also, your inxi -Gx output indicates it being run from a virtual console. Does X not start at al and did you just fail to notice/mention? Or did you explicitly switch to a console? Just run it from a terminal opened in X.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

rene wrote:Also, your inxi -Gx output indicates it being run from a virtual console.
No it doesn't; it indicates it being run as root/with sudo. I.e., don't do that. Anyways, you using "radeon" was the most important thing, and the answer to the cable/input question still also is.
sebadamus

Post by sebadamus »

Hello,

I read this thread and follow AMD install instructions but no luck with amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261 on Linux Mint Mate 18.2 (kernel 4.10.0-38-generic)

(I change the ubuntu to linuxmint string as told in the guides, so the installation seems to install fine.)

The main problem was viewtopic.php?f=59&t=256621 this error about OpenGL GLX extensions (there I post some extra info), but also the amdgpu-pro driver is not being used (instead its used the default radeon driver, even after reboot so I have graphical interface anyway, but no amdgpu-pro driver)

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling some times more, til I got a full black screen with the cursos blinking, so I had to crtl+alt+f1 to get to text terminal and uninstall. Before the uninstall, looked dmesg and Xorg.0.log for errors and found this in the last one:

Code: Select all

Failed to load module "amdgpu" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
So, I tried a Ubuntu 16.03 64bits Mate flavor on an spare disk I have, followed the same instructions and it worked smoothly without any problem :roll:

So... it might be that last amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261 is not compatible with LinuxMint at all?

Any thing else I could try?

Thanks,
briandh25

Post by briandh25 »

Hi everyone, just wondering. Will there be any changes regarding all this with the new 18.3 release?
sebadamus

Post by sebadamus »

I upgrade to 18.3 and tried the amd amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261 driver install again, but no luck... same problem than before :(

It would be useful I think, if someone that could rightly install this driver could post the output of these commands so we can compare:

uname -a

lshw -C video

glxinfo -B

Thanks!
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

I have an RX 560 and it keeps telling me I have an unsupported OS.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

I tried this and had to reload my OS because I couldn't type on the encryption screen and the res was lowered to a ridiculous level. Not for RX560 I think.
sebadamus

Post by sebadamus »

flatiron wrote:I tried this and had to reload my OS because I couldn't type on the encryption screen and the res was lowered to a ridiculous level. Not for RX560 I think.
What do you mean with encryption screen? :shock:
sebadamus

Post by sebadamus »

flatiron wrote:I have an RX 560 and it keeps telling me I have an unsupported OS.
Hi, you should read the answer Citizen229 post to other user with your same question (its on the first post)
Citizen229 wrote:The instructions are provided by the link in the first post. Inside that link is a section explaining how to change the file from unbuntu to mint.

I provided a link with walk through instructions, did you follow it?
mint42

Post by mint42 »

Hi,

in case you just need OpenCL working, e.g. for use in Blender:

I have Linux Mint 18.3 with kernel 4.13.0-19-generic #22~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 4 15:35:18 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.
My graphics card is a Saphire RX 580 Nitro+ (8GB).

I followed the instructions when installing the amdgpu-pro 17.40 driver for Ubuntu, however all I got is a blinking cursor at boot time.

Since I only need OpenCL working (for use in Blender), I noticed that the amdgpu-pro-install script supports a command-line option "--compute", which only installs the OpenCL related packages.
This worked fine and Blender 2.79 recognized the GPU compute device. The performance is quite good!

Cheers!
spitzak

Post by spitzak »

Success with mint Cinnamon 18.3 and the newest amdgpu-pro driver (17.50)! This is with a Radeon Vega Frontier Edition card, though I have reason to believe this will work with other cards if you download the correct driver. OpenGL and OpenCL work and seem to be at least as fast as Windows (which is using a slightly older driver). Have not tested Vulkan or video acceleration.

The main trick is that xorg-server must be updated to xorg 1.19 or the modules won't load due to ABI mismatch. This may require you to enable the unstable packages repository: apt install xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

Download the driver from AMD. Go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download and then use "manually select your driver". For me I had to choose "Professional Graphics", "Radeon Vega Frontier Edition", "Radeon Vega Frontier Edition", and "Linux", hit "Display Results". Point at the Download buttons to see what version you are getting, you want 17.50 or better for Ubuntu (note this is newer than the ones indicated by most help I could find on the web, the older ones work but they compile a kernel module and otherwise seem more complex, I believe 17.50 is the first "open source" one). You do not need the "preinstall" script. Hit the correct Download button.

Unpack (change the number to what you downloaded):
cd ~/Downloads
tar -Jxvf amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655.tar.xz
cd amdgpu-pro-17.50-511655

Fix the Ubuntu-specific script to work on Mint using some editor: nano amdgpu-pro-install. Replace ubuntu) with linuxmint), and in a new twist in 17.50, remove the ${1+"$@"} after $APT (This appears to be for sending switches given to the script to apt, but it truncates the command line instead, I don't know enough bash to figure out why, and may be a bug in Mint's apt, or a bug in this script).

Run the install script like this: ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=rocm It says to use legacy in place of rocm for "pre Vega10". I wasted some time trying to figure out if my card is "Vega10", AMD manages to not tell me anywhere, but I suspect it is true of anything called "Vega".

Other installation instructions said to do usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME. I don't know if it is necessary, you might want to try without it.

And then sudo reboot and enjoy!

If it screws up, look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Search for "amd" just to see if it is trying to find it, and then look for "unloaded" to find failed modules. If it complains about "ABI major version" then you need to change which xorg you are using. If you can't get it to work you can run amdgpu-pro-uninstall, note that for that to work you must edit then install script in-place as it copies it and runs it again to uninstall!
VR17

Post by VR17 »

Thank you spitzak!

I had been trying for a week to get my Radeon RX 460 to work in Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon with limited or no results until trying your solution. I believe that in my case installing xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04, your modifications to amdgpu-install, and command line ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=rocm were the key differences to what I had tried before.

I'm not sure which other kernels work, but I am using: 4.10.0-42-generic #46~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”