Mint 17 and 18 and now 19 AMD GPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
expaddy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 17 and 18 and now 19 AMD GPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Post by expaddy »

Just for anybody that is trying this at the minute I can confirm that using Radeon™ Software for Linux® Driver for Ubuntu 18.04.1 with Revision Number 18.50 and following the guide so expertly written by @Dukenukemx I have had 100% success.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 67df
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,intel,amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
           GLX Version: 4.5.13453 - CPC Direct Rendering: Yes
Change line 3 and 6 to suit your situation.

$ cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="18.3 (Sylvia)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 18.3"
VERSION_ID="18.04.1"
HOME_URL="http://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/"
VERSION_CODENAME=sylvia
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
Once again thank you very much to Dukenukemx, I owe you a pint dude,

BR/Dave
To be or not to be, is that a question?
a.bowers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a.bowers »

Okay, so here is my (stupid, bad, wrong, and the only available) procedure for getting AMD hybrid graphics working in Linux.

First, notice that anything more taxing than video playback looks and runs like hot buttered garbage.
Second, Google it using half-remembered terms from the last time you installed the OS on this pathetic excuse for a laptop.
Third, mutter "no...no...no..." as Google returns results from six years ago and every variation of Linux out there.
Fourth, Read the first two sentences of fifteen or sixteen procedures for Nvidia chipsets, add wear and tear on your mouse's back button.
Fifth, find that one forum post or wiki entry. No, not that one, the other one that looks kind of like that, but that fewer things link to.
Sixth, type commands you find in various forum posts/wiki pages until things start to work. It's not explained what most of them do or how they work, they just "do."
Seventh, consider the job done.
Eighth, return the laptop to normal service.
Ninth, eventually reboot the laptop.
Tenth, find it doesn't work again, and neither do the things you did to get it to work the first time.

Have I missed anything?

I have two questions:
How would someone who knows what they're doing to about solving this problem?
Why does switching AMD hybrid graphics continue to be a problem for the end user to solve?
focamichi

Post by focamichi »

expaddy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:20 am Just for anybody that is trying this at the minute I can confirm that using Radeon™ Software for Linux® Driver for Ubuntu 18.04.1 with Revision Number 18.50 and following the guide so expertly written by @Dukenukemx I have had 100% success.

Change line 3 and 6 to suit your situation.

$ cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="18.3 (Sylvia)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 18.3"
VERSION_ID="18.04.1"
I see your computer is running perhaps Mint 18.3 Sylvia.

Has anybody actually managed to install amdgpu-pro 18.50 on the new Mint 19.1 Tessa ?

I made a clean install for Tessa and was hoping if the change from 19 to 19.1 would have helped with installing 18.50 ... but no.
I tried everything I knew from the past. At some point the driver installation completed like it hadn't encountered problems or they were fixed by running apt install -f.
Then a reboot... and I was staring at a completely blank screen again + system wasn't responding to anything.
After a cold boot from a switch I got back to the desktop. Then I see the graphics look like "generic VGA". Inxi -Fx showed 18.50 was not installed.

I tried running the installer again but then system said all modules are installed already. Nothing to fix. If I then made a reboot I got a non-responsive machine again. Great.

Finally I removed everything from 18.50 and tried if even 18.40 would install properly anymore. It does.

amdgpu-pro 18.40 works fine on 19.1 Tessa (Mate) with kernel 4.15.0-43 and R9 390.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

focamichi,

I had no problems installing Radeon Software for Linux 18.50 on both Mint 19 and 19.1 Cinnamon.
Would you start a new topic in this same section of the forums and add the requested info below.

Uninstall the amdgpu-pro driver and then do a re-installation. Copy the complete installation log that is displayed in the Terminal window during the installation.

focamichi wrote: After a cold boot from a switch I got back to the desktop. Then I see the graphics look like "generic VGA". Inxi -Fx showed 18.50 was not installed.
After doing that, would you post the Xorg.0.log file. Use this command to open it: xed /var/log/Xorg.0.log
If there is a problem posting that long file, then it can be uploaded to terminal.com pastebin using this command:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999
Post the URL link that displays in the Terminal window

Also, post the output of inxi -Gx and cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-amdgpu.conf
focamichi

Post by focamichi »

Hello roblm !

I'll do that, but it will probably need to wait over the new year (I'm not close to that computer right now).

Thanks for giving good instructions, I think I can follow them. My skills with linux command line are very limited so good examples really help with getting started.
mgh48

Post by mgh48 »

So, after trying to understand this thread, am I correct in thinking that I am out of luck with an MSI Nvidia GT 1030 with my Phenom II CPU?

If so, I need to get it returned.

Thank you, I appreciate any help!
sansontwo

Post by sansontwo »

I'm having problems with 19.1 + mesa 19.0 with Cape Verde (HD7730m), basically, anything 3d runs worst than hd graphics. Using mint 17 + amd proprietary drivers could fix that or am I doomed?
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

a.bowers wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:37 pm I have two questions:
How would someone who knows what they're doing do about solving this problem?
Why does switching AMD hybrid graphics continue to be a problem for the end user to solve?
To the 1. question:
In order to create the system requirements to install proprietary software, everyone has to know for themselves how to do it. But of course there is the possibility to write a suitable tutorial to make it easier. A much more convenient step could be for the distribution to include an installer that performs the installation of said software through a special program. Everyone can decide for themselves whether to stick with generic drivers or prefer proprietary ones.

To the 2. question:
For the simple reason that the installation environment is constantly changing as well as the requirements for each individual graphics card. This circumstance is also aggravated, since AMD does not actively support every distribution, but only a few. In order to make full use of the functional scope of these cards, it is necessary to intercept the test routines of the proprietary driver software using a separate installation program. However, this program would have to be written first and it would also have to include the individual procedures for AMD, Nvidia, Intel, PowerVR, SiS, VIA Technologies and other major brands. As long as such a program does not exist, it will always be necessary to perform the installation by manual intervention in the operating system for a workaround.
LMDE 5 Elsie (64-bit), Linux Kernel 5.10.0, Cinnamon 5.6.8, inxi 3.3.28;
HTPC: ASUS TUF B450M-Pro Gaming, 3.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 cores),
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100, 2 × 4 TiB Seagate BarraCuda ES.3, 4 × 16 GiB HyperX Predator DDR4;
Calboy386

Re: Mint 17 and 18 AMDGPU drivers! Look here before doing anything!

Post by Calboy386 »

gauravcj wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 am
Alchemek wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 pm For those who are interested primarily in open source video drivers for AMD video cards, I recommend referring to the following link: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

By referring to this link and choosing a video card based on it, you guarantee open source video driver support for yourself. I have done so personally. I bought the AMD Radeon R7 250 based on this information, and I have solid performance with this card because it is supported.
Hey Alchemek,
Thanks for this post. Needed help on two fronts:
1. How do I install these drivers. I could go and git clone them. What subsequent steps?
2. How do you measure and quantify "solid performance" are there standard benchmarks?

Thanks

I have an older Optiplex 745, w/8G. Seemed a perfect candidate for Linux's smaller footprint/requirements. My son wanted to play video games and I'm thinking "how hard could it be to add a GPU". Long story short I bought an AMD Radeon (see dump below) without knowing what a pain in the a$$ it would be with Mint. It is a fresh install, so Mint 19.1 w/Cinnamon. I have read most of this post and get that I need to load Open Source drivers. But to gauravcj's question to Alchemek, how? I am not proficient at (nor do I want to get into it) compiling custom drivers cloned off a Git repo.

I installed MESA drivers via https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/wiki/index/graphics. But my benchmarks are not much better that the integrated video.

I would love a recommendation for pre-packaged drivers that I can run that will at least allow me to utilize the GPU. Any help would be much appreciated.

-M

System:    Host: p-optiplex Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.9 
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 745 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0WF810 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: 2.0.8 date: 11/30/2006 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 6400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: 6 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 8505 
           Speed: 2126 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2126 2: 2126 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM] vendor: Dell driver: radeon 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.1 - padoka PPA direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: Dell OptiPlex 745 driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Device-2: AMD Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series] vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-43-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express vendor: Dell OptiPlex 745 driver: tg3 
           v: 3.137 port: dc00 bus ID: 03:00.0 
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Edimax EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS] type: USB driver: rtl8192cu bus ID: 2-3:2 
           IF: wlx801f02a2dbe8 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 149.01 GiB used: 19.98 GiB (13.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1600AAJS-75M0A0 size: 149.01 GiB 
           Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: HL-DT-ST model: DVD+-RW GSA-T11N rev: A102 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw 
           Features: speed: 24 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r state: running 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 145.67 GiB used: 19.98 GiB (13.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 43 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 187 Uptime: 9h 55m Memory: 7.72 GiB used: 1.54 GiB (20.0%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.27 
wifon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wifon »

How well supported are Radeons HD7950?

I'm considering real cheap upgrade of my system, now I have HD6770 and can get 7950 for a few bucks.

Which drivers will be better? Mesa, or AMD's?
whatausername64

Post by whatausername64 »

wifon wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:09 am How well supported are Radeons HD7950?

I'm considering real cheap upgrade of my system, now I have HD6770 and can get 7950 for a few bucks.

Which drivers will be better? Mesa, or AMD's?
The driver that supports the AMD Radeon HD 7950 (and HD 6770) is the radeon driver, with the AMDGPU nor AMDGPU-Pro drivers not supporting your mentioned card. Also being that the radeon drivers are already installed on your system, but a new thread should be created if you're having issues with jumping from the HD 6770 to the HD 7950
Last edited by whatausername64 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatausername64

Post by whatausername64 »

Citizen229 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:17 pm No one has made a sticky and one needs made. AMD has made alot of confusion. So please sticky this.

NEW: With the addition of Mint 19 these rules still apply. Mint does not control the drivers AMD does. Cards not supported will never get drivers, no matter how many Mint editions come out.

EDIT: The first thing you need to do is know what card you have. This is most needed in the desktop arena. The card list below does not show HDXXXX series card. A quick trip to wikipedia will show your video cards GCN archetecture. If your card is listed as GCN 1st gen, your card is considered NOT on the list below. If it is 2nd gen or greater, it is consider ON the list.

For APU/mobile:
  • The first constantly repeated issue is for mobile GPUs as well as APUs (AMD processor with builtin graphics chip). If you have these video devices on Mint 18.x, You will only have the option of the open source driver in the driver manager. Do not try any other driver, they will not work.
  • For Mint 17.3, we have a different story. These devices have a second option of the FGLRX drivers in the driver manager. Do not try any other driver other than these 2, it will not work. As well as only recommended until 17.3 EOL.
For desktops:
  • For desktops we get better options, but AMD made great confusion as there is only a select numbers of cards supported by their new drivers.
  • The list of cards for the new drivers:

​Radeon RX 5xx graphics
    Radeon™ RX 480 Graphics
    ​Radeon™ RX 470 Graphics
    ​Radeon™ RX 460 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 390X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 390 Graphics ​
    AMD Radeon™ R9 380X Graphics
    ​​AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Graphics

AMD Radeon™ R9 M395X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 M385 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 M380 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 M270X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 360 Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 290X Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 285 Graphics
    ​AMD Radeon™ R7 260X Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R7 260 Graphics
If your card is NOT on this list DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL AMDGPU-PRO driver from AMD website. You are stuck with open source drivers on Mint 18. For Mint 17 cards not on the list can still use the FGLRX drivers from the driver manager.

For those whose card IS on the list :
  • For Mint 17, you can use open source or FGLRX from the driver manager.
  • For Mint 18 you can use open source by default. For the AMDGPU-PRO driver you MUST upgrade to kernel 4.8 FIRST (and REBOOT), before you install the driver (and REBOOT).
  • The kernel requirements are that of the driver. When using AMD supplied drivers you may/will be required to update the kernel in the future. AMD actually puts this on their website, and folks still miss it for some reason.
  • In the future the list may become inaccurate. AMD may chose to drop older cards in the future. And obvious they will add newer cards as they come out with them.
BONUS: For those who need OPEN CL 2 instructions (example: folding@home). As of this post, the Open Source as well as FGLRX drivers do not have it. The AMDGPU-PRO driver do.

Tutorial for AMDGPU-PRO driver issues: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=242474 No clue how many more months this will be valid.
Can it be mentioned in a section that there's radeon drivers and a link provided to the RadeonDrivers page on Ubuntu? with a summary of video cards that are supported by it, since it can be misleading and people might not know and beknowing that there's the radeon drivers and it already being installed on the system.

EDIT: Also mentioning that AMD video cards that aren't list in the list are most likely supported by the radeon drivers, too
Pesebrero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pesebrero »

I suppose AMDGPU is still useless for APUs, right? Anyways, I just want to revive an "old" laptop with an A10-4600M APU, and unless open source drivers have miraculously improved, Mint 17.3+fglrx is still the best option.
Minty00

Post by Minty00 »

I'm sorry to ask something that i'm sure is already explained here... lots of replies dating up to 18 months and I'm a bit confused!

I use Mint 19.1, I have an R9 380 graphics card and play 3d games.

Will installing the drivers from the AMD website help improve performance or should I just stick to the drivers that came with the Mint install?

Thanks
rygi3l

Post by rygi3l »

I have R9 380 too and after install Mint 19.1 Cinnamon I haven't any drivers, I must load system with nomodeset and only resolution is 1024x720. How I can fix that?
Minty00

Post by Minty00 »

Not sure mate, the AMDGPU drivers installed automatically for me.
What does

inxi -Gx
return?

To get Tomb Raider 2 to work without a string of warnings I had to install

mesa-vulkan-drivers
from the software manager. Might that help?
jontrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jontrv »

I have had some significant entertainment on this topic. The primary reason being that I have an AMD B450 based motherboard with Ryzen3 cpu and the built-in Vega graphics.

Installing LM19.1 gave me kernel 4.15.0-20, which hung on boot before any login prompt.
Successfully booted into recovery mode, updated the kernel to 4.18.0-16, boots OK, but amdgpu would not install.
Modified os-release to pretent this is ubuntu 18.04, got further, but dkms failed, kernel not supported...

Investigation revealed that 4.18 kernels will not be supported until the next release of amdgpu. Ooops.

Backed out the 4.18 kernel, booted 4.15 in recovery mode, installed amdgpu successfully, Now it works great.
now dkms status reads...
> amdgpu, 18.50-725072, 4.15.0-20-generic, amd64: installed (original_module exists)

The latest kernel available today that is (believed to be) supported by amdgpu is 4.15.0-46.
Attempts to build dkms for it fail. Apparently I do not (yet) have the headers for that kernel.

However, I do now have a working 19.1 on an MSI B450-A PRO (MS-7B86) with Ryzen3 2200g cpu.

Watch this space.
tot87

Post by tot87 »

Is there anyone who was able to install 18.50-756341 on 19.1?
I modified the os-release and than tried kernel 4.15.0-47,4.15.0-45,4.15.0-20 ... dkms always fails at amdgpu_drv.o.
In file included from <command-line>:0:0:
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_version.h:4:32: error: missing expression between '(' and ')'
#define DRM_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
^
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_version.h:5:26: note: in expansion of macro ‘DRM_VERSION’
#define DRM_VERSION_CODE DRM_VERSION(DRM_VER, DRM_PATCH, DRM_SUB)
^~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_fence.h:5:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘DRM_VERSION_CODE’
#if DRM_VERSION_CODE < DRM_VERSION(4, 10, 0)
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from <command-line>:0:0:
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_version.h:4:32: error: missing expression between '(' and ')'
#define DRM_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
^
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_version.h:5:26: note: in expansion of macro ‘DRM_VERSION’
#define DRM_VERSION_CODE DRM_VERSION(DRM_VER, DRM_PATCH, DRM_SUB)
^~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_kref.h:7:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘DRM_VERSION_CODE’
#if DRM_VERSION_CODE < DRM_VERSION(4, 11, 0)
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
n file included from /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/scheduler/backport/backport.h:6:0,
from <command-line>:0:
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_drm.h:249:9: error: too few arguments to function ‘drm_encoder_init’
return drm_encoder_init(dev, encoder, funcs,
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from ./include/drm/drm_modeset_helper_vtables.h:33:0,
from ./include/drm/drm_atomic_helper.h:32,
from /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/include/kcl/kcl_drm.h:10,
from /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/18.50-756341/build/scheduler/backport/backport.h:6,
from <command-line>:0:
./include/drm/drm_encoder.h:178:5: note: declared here
int drm_encoder_init(struct drm_device *dev,
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Which is strange because the C-Macro-Definition is right.
Anyone encountered this Problem ?
shadowvzs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shadowvzs »

anyone got problem with AMD Vega 11?
i cannot solve it: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=292348&p=1622868#p1622868
NikosGR

Post by NikosGR »

Hi guys. I am new in linux and i dont have IT background.i use my pc for a bit of music, play dota 2 and browse the web. i decided to experiment with linux 3 days now. i started with ubuntu but i found the distro slower than windows and i decided to install mint, which is much better. In ubuntu dota 2 was running almost as good as in windows. just now i tried to play using mint but is not playable with the same setting. i have a amd hd7770 and i run the follow command to check my driver version

glxinfo | grep -i vendo
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
I know mesa is the open source driver. how can i know if i have the latest update or how i know is really enabled? i dont see a reason for ubuntu to run better dota 2. thank you in advance

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”