Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
nirbhay57
Level 1
Level 1

how to install video driver in mint18

Postby nirbhay57 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 am

I have installed min8-18 on my brand new laptop "dell-inspiron-15-3567 intel-core-i5-7200 CPU@2.50GHZ ✕ 4".
But the desktop shows the message ""Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration....".
Moreover neither any audio mp3 nor any mp4 video can be played. Whenever I try to double click these files(mp3 or mp4), it tries to search/install for
"extra multimedia plugins".
Moreover , switching between applications gives a feel that new window is coming very slowly and its graphics needs to be improved.
What should I do ??

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to install video driver in mint18

Postby mr_raider » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Your chip has Intel HD 620 graphics (Kaby LAke) which is failry recent.

By all accounts KAby Lake graphics was only added to teh 4.10 series kernel. I suggest you open the update manager and start by processing ALL level 1-2-3-4 adn 5 updates). After that use the Kernel tool and install teh latest 4.10 series kernel. Reboot between each step.

If that does not work, we can try more extensive surgery.

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Postby greerd » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi nirbhay57, welcome to the forum.

It looks like you didn't install the optional 'mint-meta-codecs' when you did the install. You can do that now by opening terminal and typing

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mint-meta-codecs
enter you password (you will not see any characters like ***) just hit enter. This should allow you to play media stuff.

Now for the hardware acceleration issue. With a brand new 7th gen i7 you will probably need a newer kernel. Click on the 'Update Manager' icon and click 'View' then click 'Linux kernels'. Pick the latest from the 4.11series (4.11.0-14 at this time) and install (takes a couple of minutes), after the installation reboot.

Once rebooted, from the Mint Menu (Start in Windows) open up 'Driver Manager' (takes a while) and pick the suggested video driver for your card and install (takes a while). A reboot will also be required after this.

Good luck

nirbhay57
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nirbhay57 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I installed updates through update manager and all problems seems to have been sorted out. Video and audio files can be played as usual. Thank you all for your valuable time, help and support.

Return to “Graphic Cards & Monitors”