Forum rules
Before you post please read this
miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

How To Disable NVidia Graphics and Use Intel Graphics

Post by miketurn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Hello Everyone,

Say you have a labtop that has a 3rd party graphics chip, such as NVidia or ATI (in my case NVidia).
I installed Linux Mint 18.1, and have installed no 3rd party graphics drivers, so whatever Linux Mint drivers it has built into it are the ones that it installed.

(I would like to keep this a little more in general, as opposed to specific make and model numbers)
What I am looking to do is be able to disable all use of NVidia hardware and just use built in Intel Graphics.
To be honest I don't know 100% if my labtop has Intel graphics built in, but I would imagine it does, if there is a terminal command that could display this info, please let me know.

Does anyone know how to disable all NVidia graphic hardware use?
Also this labtop is temporarily offline, so I am looking for the Linux Mint OS to supply the driver.

Thank You

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How To Disable NVidia Graphics and Use Intel Graphics

Post by catweazel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 pm

IIRC, you can install the nVidia proprietary driver and select the Intel video output under "PRIME profiles" then reboot. You can also iss this command after installing the nVidia driver:

Code: Select all

sudo prime-select intel
Alternatively, check your BIOS to see if there's a setting to select the card there.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How To Disable NVidia Graphics and Use Intel Graphics

Post by miketurn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:04 pm

@catweazel
Thank You for your response.
So I would have to install NVidia proprietary driver in order to disable the NVidia driver?
There isn't a way to do this through Linux Mint itself?

(I will start off by saying that I am obviously not an experienced user of any LInux) but I have so much difficulty with Linux Mint and hardware detection. Not in the sense that it doesn't detect hardware, but in the sense of the decisions that it makes.
It does what it is suppose to do, installs drivers for all hardware found, but I just wish there was more of a deticated GUI based window that allows you to see your hardware and driver configuration like how Windows has the "Device Manager".
This way you can enable / disable drivers from there, because sometime you don't want certain hardware to be recognized.

Also, you mention check BIOS, unfortunately the labtop was trying this on, has the most limited / uninformative BIOS I have ever seen :)

Thank You again for your response.
If you or anyone else has a

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”