Intel Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zaidims

Intel Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller driver

Post by zaidims »

Hi , i am a newbie on Linux , and i choose the latest version of Linux Mint ( Sonya )
i tried to install the driver of the graphic chipset but i cant , on the opening of the session i have a message that told me ( Acceleration graphic is not working , the cpu will be slow ... )
i hope that someone can help , and excuse my english , i dont practice it ( i speak french )
Thank you : :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Intel Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller driver

Post by Hoser Rob »

Oh dear. When I see something like "D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller driver" I suspect it has Intel Cedarview graphics. To be sure give us more info ... copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text poutput back here the first command requires your password ...

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C video

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
However I think you're using the same graphics hardware as my netbook has. If the output if that first command says "driver=gma500" then it is. And there is no other Linux driver for that card, period, and I don't think there will ever be. Intel didn't actually make that card. If it's the same one all I can say is that I hope you didn't install the Cinnamon version (I use Xfce on mine) and you weren't planning on watching HD video on it.

Hopefully it's another card, but in any case Intel doesn't actually do closed video drivers. You won't see anything in Driver Manager except maybe intel-microcode, which isn't a driver per se at all.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Confirming; have one of those as well; an Acer Aspire One D270, with an Intel Atom N2600 with Intel GMA 3600 graphics, a rebranded PowerVR graphics chip. Funny thing is that this particular netbook at the time even came with Linux as an option (MeeGo, long dead) but it isn't anymore...

Intel didn't buy the full rights from PowerVR at the time and specifically could not open the driver for GMA3600. The only drivers that have ever been released are 32-bit Windows 7 and a 32-bit binary-only driver compatible with Ubuntu 12.04 / Mint 13 at best. Seeing as how the Atom itself is pretty slow, I would not advise settling for software-rendering -- and the HDMI-out not being supported without the binary-only driver can be a deal breaker.

That is: I'd advise to run the machine on the Windows 7 Starter Edition that it no doubt came with: it's the only well-functioning solution.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually 3D hardware accelerated video never worked right on those in Windows.

Fortunately I only use my netbook for running about and have a better laptop so I don't use the netbook to watch video on. But I've seen a lot of forum threads here and on ubuntuforums by people with Cedarview and Poulsbo graphics who were expecting to be able to watch 1080p video with them.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Essayez l'édition Xfce. :)

regarde, richy
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Desktop-wise sure but unaccelerated video is really a bit of a deal-breaker already on these slow Atoms (works well for me on Windows 7) even if missing HDMI-out would not be. They also have the same driver issue regarding Windows 10; are sort of locked to Windows 7 therefore.

So be it. Most budget phones are more powerful than those netbooks these days. Let's consider them obsolete...

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”