[Solved] Second DVI monitor connected to mobo not being detected

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kotosif

[Solved] Second DVI monitor connected to mobo not being detected

Post by Kotosif »

I have just done a fresh install of Linux Mint 18.2 and I have 2 monitors.

The first monitor is connected to my GPU (Nvidia GTX950) through HDMI. This is the monitor that Linux Mint displays on.

My second old monitor is connected to the DVI port of my motherboard.
For some reason, Linux Mint is unable to detect this second monitor, however the Linux Mint boot logo appears during booting, and afterwards it remains on the five dots.

I tried opening the 'Display' program in Linux Mint and pressing detect displays but that didn't work. Both monitors work on Windows 10.
I am currently running the 'noveau' driver.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Full spec of PC:
CPU: Intel i7 4790 (Intel HD Graphics 4600 included)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 950
Motherboard: MSH H87M-E35
Monitor 1: HS221HPB 1920x1080
Monitor 2: NEC LCD1760NX
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Second DVI monitor connected to mobo not being detected

Post by catweazel »

How was it set up before you reinstalled?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Kotosif

Post by Kotosif »

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't do a reinstall. I've just installed Linux Mint onto my computer for the first time.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ok. I don't believe that you can do it. There is a program called bumblebee that you could check out but I think it only works on portable devices with NVIDIA Optimus technology. If your card has multiple outputs then use an adaptor to plug the second monitor into the same card.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Kotosif

Post by Kotosif »

Yeah looks like plugging both monitors to my graphics card allowed both monitors to work. Luckily my GPU still had DVI ports.
Shame it couldn't work with one on the motherboard and one on the GPU. It still works on Windows 10 with the new configuration though so that's good.
I'll mark this thread as solved then.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Kotosif wrote:Yeah looks like plugging both monitors to my graphics card allowed both monitors to work. Luckily my GPU still had DVI ports.
Shame it couldn't work with one on the motherboard and one on the GPU. It still works on Windows 10 with the new configuration though so that's good.
I'll mark this thread as solved then.
A simple thank you wouldv'e been appreciated.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”