Black screen trying to install...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bennyd
Level 1
Level 1

Black screen trying to install...

Post by bennyd »

Hey guys/gals, having an issue here. I'm trying to get Mint installed on my PC, however, when I select my USB drive as the boot option, it brings me to the menu where you select Live Linux Mint, OEM Install, forget all of the options, basically my USB works fine, but when I select any option, my monitors just go black. Thought maybe my USB was a bad "burn" but if I sit there, it makes the linux mint startup noise, just my monitor has no signal... I'm using an Nvidia GTX 970. I've also tried adding nvidia.modeset=0 to the grub start just before quiet splash... I'm pretty new to linux, but this is keeping me away...

Anyone able to give me a hand?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Black screen trying to install...

Post by Pierre »

if you boot the usb stick into that Live Environment:
- then select "compatibility mode" - which is usually the second option on the boot menu,
can you now still get to the Live Desktop & can you now proceed with the installation ?.

what is the current operating system on the machine - if any ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
bennyd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bennyd »

I can't get into the live environment at all, no matter what option I select, it starts to boot, and my screen goes to the no signal. Other OS on the machine is Win10. I've tried other distros, kubuntu, ubuntu, and a couple of others, none of them give me an issue, LinuxMint however, I can't even get to a live DE to even mess with it.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

bennyd wrote:Hey guys/gals, having an issue here. I'm trying to get Mint installed on my PC, however, when I select my USB drive as the boot option, it brings me to the menu where you select Live Linux Mint, OEM Install, forget all of the options, basically my USB works fine, but when I select any option, my monitors just go black. Thought maybe my USB was a bad "burn" but if I sit there, it makes the linux mint startup noise, just my monitor has no signal... I'm using an Nvidia GTX 970. I've also tried adding nvidia.modeset=0 to the grub start just before quiet splash... I'm pretty new to linux, but this is keeping me away...

Anyone able to give me a hand?
Please refer to the fix for NVidia graphics card at ....... https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Not elegant but I solved this exact issue by pulling my GTX960.. using the CPU integrated graphics to install. Once installed put the card back and the HDMI in it. Rebooted, installed NIVDA drivers and rebooted again. Sorted.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”