AMDGPU-PRO 17.40 install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mccuerc

AMDGPU-PRO 17.40 install

Post by mccuerc »

I have installed the driver by adding LinuxMint to the install script. Then that followed the support page script perfectly. See: support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-Pro-Beta-Mining-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

The issue I now have is enabling "Large Page Support". It requires the following per AMD support page:
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
a. Edit /etc/default/grub as root and modify GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in order to add "amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9" (without the quotes). The line may look something like this after the change:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9"
I can find Grub and I can modify it in text editor but I can not save the file. I receive
You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again
Suggestions as to how to proceed are requested. I am not an expert. Many thanks in advance.

LinuxMint 18.2
kernel 4.8.0-53 generic
celeron CPU G3930
8 GB ram
120 gb ssd
2x XFX RX570
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: AMDGPU-PRO 17.40 install

Post by WharfRat »

Hello mccuerc Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

In order to edit that file and save it you need escalated privileges so just use gksudo xed /etc/default/grub :wink:
mccuerc

Re: AMDGPU-PRO 17.40 install

Post by mccuerc »

Double Plus Thanks for the solution.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”