latest Nvidia driver install not possible from PPA ???

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mon3

latest Nvidia driver install not possible from PPA ???

Post by mon3 »

I have Mint 18.2 Cinamon and Nvidia Quadro M2200. My GPU works properly only with the latest nvidia driver (nvidia-387.22) but I can’t find any prebuilt package of this driver for Mint 18.02.
So I’ve added the nvidia-387.22 package from the “Ubuntu Artful” PPA to my sources from “Graphics Drivers” team PPA and I have installed the driver from there.
But if I try to install “nvidia-settings” from the “Ubuntu Artful” PPA i get the following error message:

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nvidia-settings : Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.31) but 2.24.30-1ubuntu1.16.04.2 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
So I’ve installed the “nvidia-settings” separately from the Ubuntu Xenial PPA.
Now my Quadro M2200 seems to work properly.
Is there an easier way to install the latest nvidia driver (nvidia-387.22) on Mint 18.2?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: latest Nvidia driver install not possible from PPA ???

Post by mr_raider »

No. You need to add the Ubuntu "xenial" PPA;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Then you need to execute

sudo apt update

and

sudo apt install nvidia-3xx

where 3xx is the line of drivers you want. 375 is stable, 340 is stable legacy. 381 and higher are new releases for newer cards. I personally use 384 which the next stable driver. You need to check which driver is supported on nvidia's web site for your card

http://www.nvidia.ca/object/unix.html
mon3

Post by mon3 »

mr_raider wrote:No. You need to add the Ubuntu "xenial" PPA;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Then you need to execute

sudo apt update

and

sudo apt install nvidia-3xx

where 3xx is the line of drivers you want. 375 is stable, 340 is stable legacy. 381 and higher are new releases for newer cards. I personally use 384 which the next stable driver. You need to check which driver is supported on nvidia's web site for your card

http://www.nvidia.ca/object/unix.html
If I could install the "nvidia-387.22" driver from the Ubuntu "Xenial" PPA (as you suggested) I wouldn't started my topic . The Ubuntu "Xenial" PPA contains only nvidia-387.12 and earlier versions. I’ve tested all of the driver versions available from the “Xenial” PPA but none of them works properly with my Quadro M2200. I get very low FPS with OpenGL, 4K video playback flickering etc… all of them are total buggy! According to the Nvidia hompage 384.98 and 387.12 should be working with the Quadro M2200 but they are so buggy that I get better performance with the open source “Nouveau”driver. Only the latest driver version (nvidia-387.22) works properly with the Quadro M2200.
My problem is that this driver version is only available in the Ubuntu “Bionic” and Ubuntu “Artful” PPA and not in the Ubuntu “Xenial” PPA. I hope this helps to understand my question.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

The Bionic/Artful PPAs use packages that have dependencies that cannot be met in Xenial.

The way I see it you have three options:

1. Install the driver directly using the script on nvidias page, the process is complex but doable.

2. Use a distro based on Artful or Bionic

3. (not recommended), try to download the packages individually from artful to meet the dependencies, and cross your fingers.
mon3

Post by mon3 »

mr_raider wrote:The Bionic/Artful PPAs use packages that have dependencies that cannot be met in Xenial.
The way I see it you have three options:

1. Install the driver directly using the script on nvidias page, the process is complex but doable.

2. Use a distro based on Artful or Bionic

3. (not recommended), try to download the packages individually from artful to meet the dependencies, and cross your fingers.

Thank you! I've already tried all of these options but I found faster and easier the installation method I described in my first post.
I just wonder after all the hassle why isn't available the latest nvidia driver in the Ubuntu "Xenial" PPA?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

mon3 wrote:why isn't available the latest nvidia driver in the Ubuntu "Xenial" PPA?
Ask the PPA devs.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”