Resetting Video Install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mperkel

Resetting Video Install

Post by mperkel »

I copied a Linux Mint Mate system from my desktop to my laptop. The desktop was nvidia but the laptop was ati. So I get an error loading xwindows.

Although it won't boot up into the gui, I can run "lightdm" from the command line and it works. And if I boot off the install cd it also works.

So what I'd like to do is run something that reconfigures the system the way it would be if I installed it on that hardware in the first place.

Is there something I can run to do that? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Reseting Video Install

Post by Hoser Rob »

Since the xorg error is likely only the first of many errors you'll get I'd just do a clean reinstall.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mperkel

Post by mperkel »

I need a better solution than do a clean install.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Good luck.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Jim Hauser

Re: Resetting Video Install

Post by Jim Hauser »

The Nvidia drivers were probably copied to the ATI machine causing problems. You might try selecting xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in your driver manager on the Nvidia machine prior to "copying" to the ATI machine.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”