How scaling work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Karakoram

How scaling work

Post by Karakoram »

I would like to buy this monitor from Dell (UltraSharp 25 U2518D).

But i am not sure if it's a good idea. The screen size is 25 inches and the resolution is 2560 x 1440. I really don't know how the scaling will work whit this size and this resolution.

Now i have one 24 inches at 1920 X 1200 and i feel that everything will look smaller on the U2518D.

What do you think about this ? I am right ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How scaling work

Post by catweazel »

It's basic math. Everything will look smaller. With the new monitor you're squeezing in far more pixels but with only 1" diagonal additional screen surface area.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Karakoram

Post by Karakoram »

But the automatic scaling in MInt wont do anything for that ?

The scaling just work for 4K monitor ?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Why spend extra money for a high resolution monitor and then use software to scale down to a lower resolution? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Karakoram

Post by Karakoram »

It's positivism... Everything new is suppose to be better !

Nobody know if the scaling of Mint will do good work for the monitor i want to buy ?
hannu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hannu »

Karakoram wrote:I would like to buy this monitor from Dell (UltraSharp 25 U2518D).

But i am not sure if it's a good idea. The screen size is 25 inches and the resolution is 2560 x 1440. I really don't know how the scaling will work whit this size and this resolution.

Now i have one 24 inches at 1920 X 1200 and i feel that everything will look smaller on the U2518D.

What do you think about this ? I am right ?
Both Mate and Cinnamon support scaling very well. If you are a photographer, you will want to have a 3840x2160 monitor. I have used one some time now, both with Cinnamon and Mate. I prefer Mate.
Here is how:
1.) Mate:
choose System -> Preferences -> Appearance > Fonts tab > Details button > Resolution. On the top of the dialog there is a Resolution entry field where you can enter or increase the DPI setting. I find around 140 good for a 4K monitor.
2.) Cinnamon:
- desktop manager provides support for HiDPI. Go to Preferences > General > Desktop Scaling > Use interface scaling > AUTO, Normal or Double (HiDPI)

Both work very well, some apps may need manual font size adjustments. This scales the fonts, window decorations, menus etc. but leaves the contents (graphics, photos, videos) fully high res which is the purpose of the hi res monitor.

Hannu

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”