Screen tearing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nekohappi

Screen tearing

Post by nekohappi »

Hello, I am having screen tearing issues in linux mint cinnamon. It is noticable when moving windows, animations, and especially bad when scrolling on firefox or watching videos. I have tried changing drivers, settings, searching everywhere, but I cannot seem to fix this problem, so I finally thought I would post on here. Sorry if I did anything wrong, this is my first post. Can anyone help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
briandh25

Re: Screen tearing

Post by briandh25 »

Hi, first of all, what version of LM do you have?
Can you post the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
MintBean

Re: Screen tearing

Post by MintBean »

See Mint 18.2 release notes on using the modesetting driver by uninstalling the existing driver. If your hardware supports this it should improve tearing and on my system it is a 100% fix when using the CPU onboard graphics (Intel).
Once it is fully released, see Mint 18.3 release notes, which when it is out of beta should have a note on updating to x.org display server 1.19. This hopefully will end screen tearing for a wider set of hardware.

Of course, this all involves upgrading to Mint 18.3 to get the benefit I presume.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”