Installing AMDGPU-PRO in 18.3 breaks graphics

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zorbama
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing AMDGPU-PRO in 18.3 breaks graphics

Post by zorbama »

andwbc wrote:I have just faced the same problem at Mint 18.3 Mate after installing xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04.
Try this:
sudo rm -r /var/opt/amdgpu-pro/
next and run again
./amdgpu-pro-install
You may need to force correction of errors by
sudo apt-get -f install
Interestingly enough, after reinstalling Mint and not installing the previous version of the driver, I installed xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04 and then installed the latest version, and it worked without a problem. I'm on the latest driver now.
"Inspiring quote" -Inspiring Person
Hachesse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hachesse »

I spent hours on this too, after an 17.3 to 18.3 upgrade. I was desperately looking boot logs with same errors as above, and finally picket the right keywords to google...
The solution is to opt-in to a major change under the hood, the HWE, that is not triggered by the upgrade, for whatever reason. This simple command does it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04
Reboot, et voilà.
See some explanation there: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/ubun ... s-released

This Mint upgrade really isn't for the faint of the heart for those running AMD graphics... Remember that before reaching this, you'll have downloaded 500Mb of driver, modified the install file ´amdgpu-install' so it mentions ´linuxmint' rather than ´ubuntu' at os-name check, launched it with ´sudo bash amdgpu-install', watched it download another Gb of whatever and recompile the kernel. Then this install. Pfew.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Did the OP upgrade kernel to series specified by the driver?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”