18.3 auto hidpi scaling not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ToryWho

18.3 auto hidpi scaling not working

Post by ToryWho »

Greetings...

I was happy to learn that Mint 18.3 would have hidpi scaling set to auto by default. When I tested it on my MacBook, it worked perfectly.

However, I was able to snag a new Lenovo X1 Carbon for my work computer, and when I install Mint 18.3, the auto scaling feature doesn't seem to work. I have to set it to manual to get the scaling to work correctly on both the desktop and the login screen.

I know it is a minor issue, as there is a simple work around, but I will still like to discover what is preventing Mint from detecting the hidpi display and setting the scaling automatically.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

~a
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 18.3 auto hidpi scaling not working

Post by JosephM »

Curious, what's the screen size and resolution? If I remember correctly the code to determine HiDPI or not is fairly generic. You don't always get all the info you want from certain hardware.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
ToryWho

Post by ToryWho »

Thanks for your reply.

The screen size is 14 inches, and the native resolution is 2560 x 1440.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

2560 x 1440
This is the reason. Other users were reporting issues with this size. Some larger desktop monitors use this resolution and actually shouldn't be scaled by 2. Like I said the logic is a bit simple but not all hardware will give you valid info to make it smarter. Hopefully we can get a better solution at some point.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”