[solved] Nvidia drivers cause waking from suspend to generate error "gpu has fallen off the bus" - requires hard reset

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gebnar

[solved] Nvidia drivers cause waking from suspend to generate error "gpu has fallen off the bus" - requires hard reset

Post by Gebnar »

After spending a few days fighting with this issue, I've finally cracked it. The fix is easy enough.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire-V3-572g, and apparently this issue affects other distros as well. In fact, I got the fix from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop/Acer in the first place.

As for the issue: everything about Linux Mint has been perfect on my laptop, with the exception of the suspend feature. Installing proprietary Nvidia drivers caused waking the system from suspend to give an error about "the GPU has fallen off the bus", followed by a complete failure of the display. It seems impossible to get to a terminal from this point, though the system appears to remain operational. Each time I recived this error, I had to hold down the power button and do a hard reset.

The fix is to add the following arguments to the kernel boot parameters:

Code: Select all

rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'
You can test this fix by rebooting, and pressing "e" on your primary boot entry in grub. Add the arguments to the end of the line ending with linux and press CTRL+X to boot. Try suspending and waking the system. If it works, you're golden!

To make the fix permanent you need to edit the \etc\default\grub file. Open a terminal window and paste the following command:

sudo xed /etc/default/grub
Enter your password. Then, find the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=. Mine looked like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Add the arguments to the end of this line, inside the quotes. My entry now looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'"
Enjoy using the Nvidia drivers and still being able to suspend your laptop!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrizov

Re: [solved] Nvidia drivers cause waking from suspend to generate error "gpu has fallen off the bus" - requires hard res

Post by vrizov »

Thank you so much! You are the best!!!
I was trying for months to get rid of this suspend problem. I tried setting nvidia-persistence mode - didn't work. I tried with nouveau drivers - didn't work.
Adding this code to grub solved the problem with suspend once and for all. Thank you again and have a nice day! :D :D :D
ack0329

Re: [solved] Nvidia drivers cause waking from suspend to generate error "gpu has fallen off the bus" - requires hard res

Post by ack0329 »

I know this is for Linux Mint but this response/solution is from Ubuntu 18.04 but should work with Mint too! :D

I was also having this problem plague me ... and a fix after many attempts was to re-install Ubuntu 18.04, and now it is working perfectly. I am also using Nvidia's "tested" Driver, as Nvidia was the culprit before.

Perhaps it was the "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers" ppa which installed "Extra" Stuff from the PPA and/or the 396 driver itself which screwed up my laptop's hibernating ability.

Either way it works flawlessly at this time of writing with the NVidia's 390 tested driver. And just FYI, it was also working with the 396 driver for a long time, but became problematic last week - AGAIN! SO although I don't know the exact cause ...

It is/was definitely related to the NVidia driver as before switching to the Nouveau driver also worked, but I sure did not like that option.

Trying to help, Mark :)
rushiloke7

Post by rushiloke7 »

OP forgot one last step.
After adding the arguments to the grub file. run this command:

sudo update-grub 
The actual grub file will be updated now. And it should reflect the changes during boot.
gyan

Post by gyan »

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 and for me updating with acpi_osi='Windows 2009' did not work, instead, i added 'Linux' and it worked like a charm.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Linux'"
As i read at few posts. we need to tell the bios the right OS while waking up, rather than assigning a wrong value to acpi_osi.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/28848/w ... i-linux-do

Hope it helps!
teodor_kasap

Post by teodor_kasap »

I had a similar problem,
Dell Latitude 5401 with NVIDIA GeForce MX150 running Ubuntu 18.04
my computer was freezing after waking up from suspend and working normal for a while.
in the logs I saw:
GPU has fallen off the bus
I have changed my grub configuration to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Linux'"
as gyan had described.
it seems to have fixed this issue along with the trackstick problems I have had on my Dell Latitude 5401 with NVIDIA GeForce MX150. I wanted to post here for anybody else having similar problems in the future.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”