mint 17.3 changes my resolution when i turn off/on tv monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BarcodeZero

mint 17.3 changes my resolution when i turn off/on tv monitor

Post by BarcodeZero »

Hi All,
Im using an older flat screen (not crt) TV as a monitor, its connected via HDMI cable to my graphics card, my problem is that whenever i turn the tv off, and turn it back on (while leaving the computer on) mint changes the display resolution by itself, it always changes to 1280x720 16:9

how do i make mint stop changing the setting and stay on what i set ?

i did look this up and this is as far as i got which is a bit much for me..
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-di ... randr.html
im confused because the video modes already exist and i dont want to create a custom resolution i just want to set it to one that is already there and make it stay, and the commands make reference to VGA, im not using a vga connector im using HDMI, and linux sees it as DFP2 whatever that means, so i think the commands wont work for me and im afraid ill screw up something and have no video at all..

what resolution do i want it to be?,
anything between 1152x648 16:9 (lowest it works) and 1776x1000 16:9 (highest it works)

graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 5770
graphics card driver in use: fglrx-updates 2:15.201.2-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
tv brand: Sylvania
mint sees the tv as: Funai Electric Co., Ltd. 1" DFP2

what should i do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: mint 17.3 changes my resolution when i turn off/on tv monitor

Post by Neil Edmond »

Does the TV have a 1:1 pixel setting? If so, try that. Mint is probably reading the TV EDID and choosing the requested resolution, and TV is set for HDTV signal with overscan (which is normal for a TV, but not a monitor). BTW, what is the native resolution for this TV?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”