Nvidia/Intel GPU Screen Tearing Mint 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mari5ha

Nvidia/Intel GPU Screen Tearing Mint 18.3

Post by mari5ha »

Hi all,
just to add I also have screen tearing on Linux mint 18.3 64bit Cinnamon with my laptop Asus u30sd:

inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

System:    Host: asus-U30Sd Kernel: 4.10.0-42-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: U30Sd v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: U30Sd.211 date: 07/06/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium B940 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) bmips: 7981
           clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 799 MHz 2: 799 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF119M [GeForce GT 520M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 520M/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.90 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-42-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: a000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 504.1GB (15.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000BPVT size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Card_Reader size: 4.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 315G used: 37G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 36.70GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 1.0:52C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3300
Info:      Processes: 258 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 1691.9/3860.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2
Test video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceX18O9pvLs

The same issue I already solve @Ubuntu 64bit using this manual (for the same laptop of course): https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13663158 but it doesn't work in a way that Prime synchronization is not enabled (there is no line added in xrandr --verbose ).
I am sure that this manual is capable to fix this issue, but for some reason doesnt work for Mint :(
IF there is no solution, then I will come back to ubuntu or some other distro (manjaro for example). I really like Mint and would like to try something to fix this.
Any suggestion pls?
Ty
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Nvidia/Intel GPU Screen Tearing Mint 18.3

Post by trytip »

run this command and test the tear video again

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t|tr '\n' ' '|sed -e 's/.*:: \(.*\)/\1\n/g' -e 's/}/, ForceCompositionPipeline = On}/g')" > /dev/null
ps: the tearing is caused by window manager so try changing it to compiz or if cinnamon has marco+compton
mari5ha

Post by mari5ha »

Ty Trytip

I execute proposed command, but problem is not solved unfortunately ...

Will try to google your next advise.
Br,
Marko

UPDATE: Reading the forum and some other sites, marco window manager and the compton composite manager are available only for MATE MINT... ?
And this ubuntu solution is not applicable for Cinnamom obliviously, so I am atm without options :(
mari5ha

Post by mari5ha »

So sad, Manjaro XFCE Edition (17.0.6) without any problems, just mint is better looking...

Hope some other versions of mint will be better.
usemame

Post by usemame »

try to enable TearFree driver option, it works only for intel hd graphics
To the best of my knowledge, Intel doesn’t have a GUI for its graphical settings, something along the lines of nvidia-settings. But who doesn’t like messing around with Xorg on the command line? Open up a terminal window with root privileges, and create the following file –

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Create the requisite folders if they don’t exist. Enter the following in the newly created file and save it –

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    Driver     "intel"
    Option     "AccelMethod"    "sna"
    Option     "TearFree"       "true" 
EndSection
https://sn0v.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/s ... tu-xfce-4/
Fontenele
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fontenele »

trytip wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:10 am run this command and test the tear video again

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t|tr '\n' ' '|sed -e 's/.*:: \(.*\)/\1\n/g' -e 's/}/, ForceCompositionPipeline = On}/g')" > /dev/null
ps: the tearing is caused by window manager so try changing it to compiz or if cinnamon has marco+compton
Hello there,

I was having tearing problem with Linux Mint 18.3 Mate edition and GPU NVidia 1050TI and the command above solved the issue. Thanks for the help!

Fontenele
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

what i did is create a blank text file in home directory called notear.sh then paste and save the code below (same one you used). right click and properties then make it executable in permissions

in startup session i add the script and it will start when system boots, or it can just be run whenever you want by posting the command in terminal

ps: this code works best in mate desktop i believe. for xfce i use compton with compton.conf <<< search google for compton .conf
Fontenele
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fontenele »

trytip wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm what i did is create a blank text file in home directory called notear.sh then paste and save the code below (same one you used). right click and properties then make it executable in permissions

in startup session i add the script and it will start when system boots, or it can just be run whenever you want by posting the command in terminal

ps: this code works best in mate desktop i believe. for xfce i use compton with compton.conf <<< search google for compton .conf
Hello there again trytip,

I was about to post a question about how to put that command when i start the system and i think you read my mind. Working fine! :D

Thanks a lot again,

Fontenele
JRV2018

Post by JRV2018 »

trytip! This is a problem that has annoyed me for a long time. I love Mint and have used different versions depending on the machine. Worked like a charm on my KDE 18.3 install, thank you!
squirrel_poop

Post by squirrel_poop »

There are two things you can do that usually work for me (and many others). Either one of the following measures helps you end tearing, or both at the same time.

1. Open the file /etc/profile and append at the end of the file

export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
Save the newly edited file and restart your computer.

2. Open the file /etc/environment and append at the end of the file

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True
Save the newly edited file and restart your computer.

Again, maybe 1 OR 2 helps, or maybe you have to do 1 AND 2. Let me know if this works for your.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”