Anybody was able to install successfully AMD drivers in 17.3? The driver I had installed for 17/.1/.2 stopped working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

Anybody was able to install successfully AMD drivers in 17.3? The driver I had installed for 17/.1/.2 stopped working

Post by fruitkiller »

...properly one day. I had a X server refusing to start situation after some updates, and since then, when I install the AMD Radeon driver for my Radeon HD 7850, which I've had installing fine before. What happens now is strange, I get an error in the process, 93% in, a DKMS error happens and it semi-installs correctly. Speaking of driver 15.302 and I know how to purge the driver correctly etc.

I get the Catalyst ATI graphics configuration to work just fine. But openGL / 3D is absent. The install log says :

Code: Select all

Supported adapter detected.
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/15.302/source ->
                 /usr/src/fglrx-15.302

DKMS: add completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/15.302/build; sh make.sh --nohints --uname_r=4.4.0-59-generic --norootcheck.......(bad exit status: 1)
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-15.302 with DKMS
[Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-15.302 from DKMS

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 15.302
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
[Reboot] Kernel Module : update-initramfs
But Driver Manager says I'm using fglrx and detects the video card perfectly down to the manufacturer (Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7850 2GB Pitcairn etc...) but if I type in fglrxinfo..

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  157 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  66 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13
I've been installing proprietary drivers for this graphics card since Mint 14. I know how to do it, for reference, this is the best guide I've found to look up stuff in case I forget : http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Linux_Mint

I'm not upgrading to Mint 18 because I know there's no driver for it yet, but it should work on 17.3 . I know it did until some point, as I upgraded from 17.2 to 17.3 seamlessly. I heard things about Wine maybe causing problems if one installs it, but I did not experience that before. I definitely installed it after the original working driver. I'm starting to think maybe it is this 15.302 driver that's maybe not working for my graphics card and I should install 15.20, which is what I had before the driver got this crimson name to it. Thankfully I still have the files for 15.20 and 15.12. Making .deb files never did it for me, I always had to do it manually in a fully console environment with MDM turned off.

Some help would be appreciated! I need openGL to game and I won't have it until the driver installs correctly. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Anybody was able to install successfully AMD drivers in 17.3? The driver I had installed for 17/.1/.2 stopped workin

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can try installing the same kernel version in 17.3 as you had in 17.1 Reboot and test.
Or install kernel version 4.14.9, reboot and test
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Anybody was able to install successfully AMD drivers in 17.3? The driver I had installed for 17/.1/.2 stopped workin

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

deepakdeshp wrote:You can try installing the same kernel version in 17.3 as you had in 17.1 Reboot and test.
Or install kernel version 4.14.9, reboot and test
I still have it, it was kernel 3.19.0-32, the one that's checked as Recommended in the Linux Kernels list of the Update Manager. The latest kernel that shows in that list is 4.4.0-98 . Not sure I can install kernels not in there safety. And how would that help? I guess that's the kernel an iso of Mint 18.3 comes with ? It seems like AMD's driver for much more recent kernels is still in dev hence why I'm not installing it yet. It could be that I changed kernels though, I run 4.4.0-59 since a long time and well maybe a combination of this and those updates that messed things up before, when once when I turned on that desktop and X failed to start and the driver had to be reinstalled but it never really reinstalled fully.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Install Ubuntu Kernel Update utility which can help install newer or older kernels. If the new kernel doesn't work, you can always revert to the present one. No harm
In trying.
Regards,
Deepak

fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

I guess I found the answer to my troubles, although...the driver didn't notice until a while later I wasn't using 3.19.0-32..I'll install the very latest 3.19.x kernel because, Radeon Crimson 15.2 (15.32 driiver) SysReqs :

System requirements

XOrg 7.4 or above (up to 1.17)
Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.19)
glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications

The following packages must be installed in order for the AMD Catalyst driver for Linux to install and work optimally:

gimp-help-en
gimp-help-common
XFree86-Mesa-libGL
libstdc++
libgcc
XFree86-libs
fontconfig
freetype
zlib
gcc
--------------------------------
I'll try it again when I don't have anything to do on the desktop and if need be, I could install 3.19.0-80, which is the last 3.19 kernel in the Update Manager, I imagine it has upgrades from 3.19.0-32 that are not really discussed in the Linux Kernels list in the Update Manager. I'll give feedback afterwards and see what happens. Hopefully I can put a solved tag to this one.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Right, so. I've made, in all cases it fails, a usb key with mint 17.1 on it, got the iso from the official source, checked the safety of it all with gpg. It's fine.

I got a question regarding trying to install an older Mint 17 version, it will not be on the same internal drive, but, it will likely cause some kind of fight in grub, right?
Because yesterday these updates came in 17.3, initramfs-tools, initramfs-tools-bin.

Will this cause a problem? It's not a major issue since I got another thumb drive, well no it's a CD I had that was laying around, with Boot-Repair OS on it, it's just xfce ubuntu with Boot-Repair on it so that one doesn't have to start up, say after reinstalling a defective windows 7 on another partition, which wipes the MBR and so causes grub to be wiped out, so one needs a thumbdrive or cd with supergrubdisk to boot into Mint or other Linux distros, where Boot-Repair is installed, like I have right now, do that and then all would be fine. It cuts this annoying part off.

Since I'm already having issues with some QT and KDE applications causing a segfault on start thus failing to open, I guess I should go back from the start. Only reinstalling everything as I like it and my theme will be a pain. I got backup for everything else, software, bookmarks, anyway, like I said, my plan is not to wipe out 17.3, just place 17.1 on another drive and see what happens regarding these issues, especially since it was made clear that 3.19.x is the last kernel supported by 15.302 AMD's driver, except for AMDGPUPRO but only the beta seems to support 14.04, not the full release which says 16.04 or over.

Advice is very welcome.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

fruitkiller wrote:Right, so. I've made, in all cases it fails, a usb key with mint 17.1 on it, got the iso from the official source, checked the safety of it all with gpg. It's fine.

I got a question regarding trying to install an older Mint 17 version, it will not be on the same internal drive, but, it will likely cause some kind of fight in grub, right?
Because yesterday these updates came in 17.3, initramfs-tools, initramfs-tools-bin.

Will this cause a problem? It's not a major issue since I got another thumb drive, well no it's a CD I had that was laying around, with Boot-Repair OS on it, it's just xfce ubuntu with Boot-Repair on it so that one doesn't have to start up, say after reinstalling a defective windows 7 on another partition, which wipes the MBR and so causes grub to be wiped out, so one needs a thumbdrive or cd with supergrubdisk to boot into Mint or other Linux distros, where Boot-Repair is installed, like I have right now, do that and then all would be fine. It cuts this annoying part off.

Since I'm already having issues with some QT and KDE applications causing a segfault on start thus failing to open, I guess I should go back from the start. Only reinstalling everything as I like it and my theme will be a pain. I got backup for everything else, software, bookmarks, anyway, like I said, my plan is not to wipe out 17.3, just place 17.1 on another drive and see what happens regarding these issues, especially since it was made clear that 3.19.x is the last kernel supported by 15.302 AMD's driver, except for AMDGPUPRO but only the beta seems to support 14.04, not the full release which says 16.04 or over.

Advice is very welcome.
It turns out booting up with the last 3.19 kernel, 3.19.0-80, didn't change anything. And if I try to boot in 3.19-0.32, what's checked as the Recommended kernel...I donn't know if it is my new keyboard, which is Azerty, although, I could test this theory with an old ps/2 keyboard I have right here later, I couldn't get past the part in the Mint boot process where I have to press S to skip mounting of some drives that do not want to mount at boot, because I disabled them to do so with Disks, I think, but if not, it's always pretty much done that when it comes to a few ntfs and ext4 partitions in my internal drives.

So now, I really need to know, can I install Mint 17.1 to kind of tweak around and have it be totally seperated from 17.3, which seems impossible thanks to grub. Destroying this install will be very painful, years of customization and such. Maybe it's the 15.302 driver and the 15.20 one could work, I got no idea. But as I tried to install it, unlike in this kernel (4.4.0-59), it told me that it couldn't proceed due to some dependencies, although I could use --force on the .run file but then AMD 3d graphics would not work and I go the DKMS error at 93% of the install process. This is starting to give me a real big headache, so much so I'm thinking of just buying a new graphics adapter at my next pay. This graphics card isn't old enough and passes tests like 3D Mark and some games in Windows with flying colours. This the first time I get such difficulty. If I need to test it on another desktop..well my old desktops have great video cards in all 3 of them, for their time, when pci-express and AGP co-existed, one has a Nvidia card before the gtx series that was at the top, a 7800 or such? It's AGP 16x or 8x, I forgot the best it got, I remember paying almost 100 bucks more because my then old motherboard didn't have pci-e ports.

Short question to all this, can I install Mint 17.1 on the same desktop that has 17.3 on one drive, and grub installed on all internal drives, maybe I shouldn't have done it this way with Boot-Repair but now all 3 of my internal drives boots up to the same grub screen, which is useful. Also, the small issue I have going since the incident that started all this, well almost immediately afterwards (random X-server failure) which had me reinstall the driver, which gave me the 93% DKMS error, and then a few weeks or a month later, identifying text under icons from the desktop doesn't show up. So links to folders and such have to be selected with the mouse to see the underlying text. It's all a big mess of an otherwise really well functioning system.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

I have...but you're better off following the procedure to create deb files from the .run driver file...that b*tch of a file, at least the 15.30 catalyst driver, it's the last one to work real well with 17.3 imo, the .run files will produce a DKMS error at 93% randomly. With the debs installed correctly, yep, my 2 Radeon HD 7850's in CrossFire work excellently.

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series  
OpenGL version string: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.30.1025

display: :1.0  screen: 1
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series  
OpenGL version string: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.30.1025

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”