Laptop screen brightness - increase over maximum?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
northern elf

Laptop screen brightness - increase over maximum?

Post by northern elf »

Hello all,

Is there any way to get more brightness and contrast from a new laptop screen than it is naturally giving?

I just installed LM 18.3 XFCE last night on Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM. The display is inherently dim and low contrast. The basic controls on the keyboard indicate it's set to its highest output levels.

Is there any way to get more out of it? (Other than a second monitor)

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Laptop screen brightness - increase over maximum?

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
northern elf

Post by northern elf »

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your help on this a few days ago. My apologies for not replying sooner - I didn't set up notifications on the topic and thought there were no replies yet.

The tutorial you linked was very good - even I could follow the directions (very well written!).

I've now realized the laptop is problematic.

The slider bars for the screen brightness exist - but the screen is too dim most of the time.
The viewing angle is so narrow that if I tip the screen the top half adds a color cast, the center loses contrast.
Last night was finicky about recognizing being plugged in.
Was giving 4 hours service on a 12 hour battery.
Tonight won't charge at all. (Not using it for anything intensive - just running Inkscape and a Firefox)

I think before my return window closes with Amazon, this laptop should go back for a refund. A shame all that time lost.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

northern elf wrote:I think before my return window closes with Amazon, this laptop should go back for a refund.
Yep, kinda sounds that way to me, too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”