Need help with Nvidia graphics card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jwrussell1986

Need help with Nvidia graphics card

Post by jwrussell1986 »

Hey everyone. I'm currently using a Dell XFR e6400 as my main linux machine, but I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to figure out why the nvidia drivers are not showing up anywhere in additional drivers. According to the main dell website, it has an nvidia card installed (see attached picture), but the driver isn't showing up; just the intel one. i've installed the current nvidia updates and changed the grub file to blacklist the nouvaeu thing, but still no dice. Can anyone offer a solution or am I just kinda screwed either way? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Need help with Nvidia graphics card

Post by catweazel »

By today's standards, that's a very old laptop. Your device isn't supported by the newer nVidia drivers. That's why drivers don't show up in the driver manager. Your best bet is to try and find a legacy video driver here at this link and perform a manual install. However there's no guarantee this will work because the driver installer might not recognise your kernel headers. The only other alternative would be Mint 17.3, and I'm assuming you're using at least 18.2.

If you go the manual driver route, try version 304 first, then 340 only if 304 doesn't work. There are no other driver versions that support your card.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jwrussell1986

Post by jwrussell1986 »

Thank you for your help. Can you provide me with steps on how to manually install these drivers?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

See the first answer here. You need the instructions listed under Terminal Method. Make sure you adjust the instructions for your file name and folder locations.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jwrussell1986

Post by jwrussell1986 »

So both versions didn't work and came up with the errors as shown below. Did I do something wrong or is there a way to rollback the kernels so the installer can recognize them?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”