problem after removing xserver-xorg-video-intel driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anoep

problem after removing xserver-xorg-video-intel driver

Post by Anoep »

hello,

i read this under known issues:
Cinnamon freezes when changing resolution (Intel GPU)
If your Intel GPU is recent enough (2007 or newer) it is recommended to remove the legacy Intel driver "xserver-xorg-video-intel" and to use the built-in modesetting driver instead:

apt remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
sudo reboot
Not only will the modesetting fix the freeze issue when changing resolutions, it should also work better with Cinnamon and produce better performance.

The legacy driver is no longer maintained and only useful for the old i800x and i900x family of chipsets.

If you are using one of these old chipsets or if you do not want to use the modesetting driver, an alternative is to continue to use the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" driver, but to disable VSync:

echo CLUTTER_VBLANK=none >> ~/.profile
Log out for this change to take effect, and please be aware that disabling Vsync might result in video screen tearing.
Now i have removed xserver-xorg-video-intel driver and now output inxi says this:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 860M]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.18.4 ) drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: modesetting
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile version: 4.5 Mesa 17.2.4
did i do something wrong:
i need help now.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: problem after removing xserver-xorg-video-intel driver

Post by catweazel »

Anoep wrote: did i do something wrong:
i need help now.
Who can tell? You haven't described the problem you're having.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Anoep

Post by Anoep »

catweazel wrote:
Anoep wrote: did i do something wrong:
i need help now.
Who can tell? You haven't described the problem you're having.
Something did go wrong after removing driver. see output of inxi -G command there you can read FAILED: modesetting

i read failed so i think something is not correct here. my system is booting up and i can log in but i don't know what is failing now and how to solve
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ok, that makes more sense now. I'm quite old and have trouble reading the green text sometimes :)

Go here: https://linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php. Scroll down to the heading Solving freezes during the boot sequence and try the modesetting instructions. Towards the end of the section there are 4 bullet points. If it fails, try the first two items in turn.

I don't know if your card is Optimus or not so you may need to read through those instructions before starting.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Anoep

Post by Anoep »

catweazel wrote:Ok, that makes more sense now. I'm quite old and have trouble reading the green text sometimes :)

Go here: https://linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php. Scroll down to the heading Solving freezes during the boot sequence and try the modesetting instructions. Towards the end of the section there are 4 bullet points. If it fails, try the first two items in turn.

I don't know if your card is Optimus or not so you may need to read through those instructions before starting.

Cheers.
hello

my system is not freezing i can login and can work normally. only yesterday cinnamon crashed but that was solved by restarting cinnamon. i think i install back the driver.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Anoep wrote:
catweazel wrote:my system is not freezing
I know that. The instructions are to assist you in fixing the issue with your video driver. Ignore the meaning of the heading. I should have written that to avoid confusing you.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Anoep wrote: Now i have removed xserver-xorg-video-intel driver and now output inxi says this:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 860M]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.18.4 ) drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: modesetting
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile version: 4.5 Mesa 17.2.4
That's an inxi issue, modesetting failed status output is wrong, you can ignore it. See OpenGL line reporting direct rendering active.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”