Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Kuizatzhaderach
Level 1
Level 1

Alienware 17r3 Nvidia replacement

Post by Kuizatzhaderach » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi,

I intend to remove the nvidia graphics card and install one more compatible and better supported. I have found the AMD Radeon R9 M395X, was actually suggested by Dell..

I was really appreciate any feedback or comments,

The Laptop was a gift, would not have been my first choice however it is a rather decent platform, once all the killer rubbish was removed and replaced with Intel kit.

Cheers JK

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Alienware 17r3 Nvidia replacement

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 am

There aren't any video cards that are better supported in Linux than Nvidia. AMD dfoesn't have the best support in Linux at all. In fact now that I only run Linux I'll probably never buy a machine with AMD graphics again unless they improve their support. Fortunately this may be happening but IMO the jury is still out.

Kuizatzhaderach
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Alienware 17r3 Nvidia replacement

Post by Kuizatzhaderach » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:There aren't any video cards that are better supported in Linux than Nvidia. AMD dfoesn't have the best support in Linux at all. In fact now that I only run Linux I'll probably never buy a machine with AMD graphics again unless they improve their support. Fortunately this may be happening but IMO the jury is still out.
Hi Rob, thanks very much for the reply, its a vexing question. There are a couple of reviews that has AMD nosing in front, but until you install the thing in your own particular situation its a lottery. Obviously you have had experience with both. Can I ask which cards in particular you have used ?
Thnx Rgds JK

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”