Screen tearing after upgrade to X.org server 1.17.1 wit Interl Sky Lake

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Janosk

Screen tearing after upgrade to X.org server 1.17.1 wit Interl Sky Lake

Post by Janosk »

LS,
Last Friday is applied the meltdown upgrade, which went well. At the same time, a newer version of xserver was installed.
I run Linux Mint 17.3 with Cinnamon with Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics on-board hardware acceleration

I am experiencieng screen tearing, mainly in the lower diagonal part of the screen, and mainly when accessing the menu bar or switching between applications. It can be quite bad, but if there is no user action, the screen is restored within a few seconds.

Harware/software config:
X.Org X Server 1.17.1
Release Date: 2015-02-10
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.19.0-28-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux c-mstr 4.4.0-109-generic #132~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 21:46:42 UTC 2018 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.4.0-109-generic root=UUID=18a0d746-709b-4462-85c8-2248892c3931 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Build Date: 11 September 2015 10:33:14AM
xorg-server 2:1.17.1-0ubuntu3.1~trusty1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.30.2
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.

The following did not help:
Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf containing:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TearFree"    "true"
EndSection
The xserver log indicates that this location is found as it shows the options specified.

I also tried:
option:"dri" "2"
Still tearing

Solution to tearing is:
option:"dri" "false"

But this means there is NO hardware acceleration.
The question is: how do I get proper hardware acceleration without screen tearing?

Also, after screensave, the backlighting does not come back on and the screen remains dark. The computer does not go to sleep.

thanks, Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”