AMD and Nvidia, need a play nice together solution.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Citizen229

AMD and Nvidia, need a play nice together solution.

Post by Citizen229 »

Been surfing the web for a way to set up AMD and Nvidia to both work. Found a good one but it was Arch based so I got lost just reading the command lines:P. But they did explain that Nvidia tends to pooh-pooh all over openGL to make dual brand difficult. This is ok as i wan to run my APU on open source drivers, and my Nvidia card headless(with proprietary drivers,CUDA). They also stated drivers must be manually installed for nvidia, then xorg config played with to keep Nvidia away from open gl. Once that is done supposedly the AMD driver should load fine because the Nvidia driver is no longer causing conflict.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: fester-desktop Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: A88M-ITX/ac R2.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P1.00 date: 04/08/2016
CPU:       Quad core AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3593 MHz 1: 3593 MHz 2: 3593 MHz 3: 3593 MHz
           4: 3593 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1c03
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia,ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111
Im not new, but not a pro either. Looking for pro tips on how to accomplish this task of headless nvidia with AMD apu for desktop rendering.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: AMD and Nvidia, need a play nice together solution.

Post by Hoser Rob »

Citizen229 wrote:Been surfing the web for a way to set up AMD and Nvidia to both work. Found a good one but it was Arch based so I got lost just reading the command lines ...
Maybe you could post a link? And it's doubtful that a mint/ubuntu solution has much fewer command lines than an Arch one.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179549

My bad, here is a link. The explination is halfway down the page. As well as the last post someone saying they did it in unbuntu(just not how)

Im working 6- 10's at work, soo sunday is my only "tinker day"
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't have a good answer for you, and can't find one. This seems to be a long standing issue and if there's been some big revelation/fix I cannot find it.

I am wondering however, after reading that link, what the point of disabling OpenGL in the Nvidia card is (unless you want it for bitcoin mining).
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I would be doing mine for folding( see signature, its akin to mining). Open CL is the key for such a task. Based on the link. it would appear the same could be done in Mintbuntu. Manual install with no open gl followed with driver manager/ manual install of open source AMD. I am assuming a manual install driver gets borked with a kernel update. correct?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

After yet more searching, it appears libGL.so is the main culprit. I have 384 drivers installed from the driver manager atm. This file is found at > /usr/lib/nvidia-384/ .

I have DL'd the 384.111 nvidia installer, a .run file. Have not tried manual install yet to see if it prompts for openGL ignore. At the same time I cannot seem to find the command to skip open GL install on the web( poor keyword choices most likely)
I think i need to try and remove the libGL.so file from its folder, causing the 384 drivers to not load/control opengl. Followed by changing bios to APU and letting the kernel load the open source AMD drivers on reboot. The libGL.so file has an arrow in the corner, denoting linkage to other filers. This should bust the openGL control and let AMD have opengl control.

I am fairly certain this is the right path. When both AMD and nvidia are on open source from driver manager/base install, i can use either to display. It is the loading of the proprietary drivers that cause loading errors on boot. The nvidia drivers have long been known to cripple openggl for non nvidia hardware.

This seems to be the best places to start that i can find on the web. Whats your 2 coppers on this?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Tried moving libGL.so from its folder to break the open GL cycle. It of course didnt work. I was just something quick and easy to try. Going to have to try the manual install and hope it prompts to not install open GL.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”