Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Mint user 2142
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Post by Mint user 2142 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi,
When my external dell monitor is attached to my laptop during boot, the screen (both laptop and external) remains black (I've made sure the external is on). To avoid this I have to unplug my external monitor and reboot.

I'm not sure if it's related but when I would plug in my external monitor after having logged in, the screen would "corrupt" and have windows appearing on both monitors that I couldn't interact with (I could move my mouse but not select/drag anything or type with my keyboard). I avoided this by having the "display" window open when plugging in my monitor. I couldn't recreate this 2nd problem before posting.

Does anyone have advice for how to be able to boot with 2 monitors?

deepakdeshp
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:41 pm

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD processor . Memory 8GB

Mint user 2142
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Post by Mint user 2142 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:36 am

That guide is for how to add a monitor. The problem I'm having isn't using my monitor, it's just that when I have it plugged in at boot, both screens remain black.

Once I've logged in I can then plug the monitor in without trouble. It’s still extremely frustrating to reboot to a black screen and have to reboot all over again.

Y2k38
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Y2k38 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi !
Actually I have almost same issue with my laptop.
After kernel update to 4.13.0-32 when I turn on my Asus laptop display stay dark, so I plug external display - no reaction,
only when I switch to external display with laptop shortcut combination desktop image appears correctly.
Still I wonder what is it ?

Mint user 2142
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mint user 2142 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:39 pm

@Y2k38
What is the hot key you're using for that?
I've just perused the keyboard shortcuts without seeing that. I'd like to try this to see if I can use it to workaround my problem.

yetanothermintuser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yetanothermintuser » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:17 pm

I am having the same issue that was mentioned in the first post.

I am running kernel 4.13.0-32-generic on a Dell Latitude E6530 laptop, with attached Dell monitor (via docking station). It will not display anything if I boot with the monitor connected, but when I unplug it everything boots as expected. I can then plug it back in and it works as normal.

Quite annoying ... anybody have a solution?

Return to “Graphic Cards & Monitors”