Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint user 2142

Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Post by Mint user 2142 »

Hi,
When my external dell monitor is attached to my laptop during boot, the screen (both laptop and external) remains black (I've made sure the external is on). To avoid this I have to unplug my external monitor and reboot.

I'm not sure if it's related but when I would plug in my external monitor after having logged in, the screen would "corrupt" and have windows appearing on both monitors that I couldn't interact with (I could move my mouse but not select/drag anything or type with my keyboard). I avoided this by having the "display" window open when plugging in my monitor. I couldn't recreate this 2nd problem before posting.

Does anyone have advice for how to be able to boot with 2 monitors?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Mint user 2142

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3: Attached external monitor causes laptop to blackscreen on boot

Post by Mint user 2142 »

That guide is for how to add a monitor. The problem I'm having isn't using my monitor, it's just that when I have it plugged in at boot, both screens remain black.

Once I've logged in I can then plug the monitor in without trouble. It’s still extremely frustrating to reboot to a black screen and have to reboot all over again.
Y2k38

Post by Y2k38 »

Hi !
Actually I have almost same issue with my laptop.
After kernel update to 4.13.0-32 when I turn on my Asus laptop display stay dark, so I plug external display - no reaction,
only when I switch to external display with laptop shortcut combination desktop image appears correctly.
Still I wonder what is it ?
Mint user 2142

Post by Mint user 2142 »

@Y2k38
What is the hot key you're using for that?
I've just perused the keyboard shortcuts without seeing that. I'd like to try this to see if I can use it to workaround my problem.
yetanothermintuser

Post by yetanothermintuser »

I am having the same issue that was mentioned in the first post.

I am running kernel 4.13.0-32-generic on a Dell Latitude E6530 laptop, with attached Dell monitor (via docking station). It will not display anything if I boot with the monitor connected, but when I unplug it everything boots as expected. I can then plug it back in and it works as normal.

Quite annoying ... anybody have a solution?
DisasterArea

Post by DisasterArea »

Hello
I have the same problem.
Laptop HP250 with external display connected to VGA port.
When booting i still see the Mint Splash Screen.
After that both screens are dark.
But I can (blindly) enter the password.
Then the session starts normally.
It looks like there are problems with the login screen in kernel 4.13.
If the external screen is not connected, then everything works fine.
If I use the 4.10 kernel then everything works ok too.
lenr9

Post by lenr9 »

Hello,

Same here. Linux Mint 18.3 with Dell Latitude E6430, dual monitors with docking station. Monitors work if I boot laptop without docking and then connect to docking station after login. Can't reboot while in docking station and expect the monitors to work. Need to detach for reboot and then after login reconnect to dock.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”