Rx560 No HDMI sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tonyprzit

Rx560 No HDMI sound

Post by Tonyprzit »

Hi I am new to linux. I installed mint 18.3 on a computer i built. amd 7 1700x. asrock 370, 16gb ram. Radeon Rx 560.
I installed windows 10, mint 18.3 and Kali 2017.3. I cant get any sound out of the HDMI connected to a tv. The sound comes out fine on windows 10. I have removed and reinstall the gpu drivers but nothing. Could someone help me?
Thank you
Tony
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Citizen229

Re: Rx560 No HDMI sound

Post by Citizen229 »

sound icon on task bar>click settings>click output devices>change to HDMI
Tonyprzit

Post by Tonyprzit »

I did, Output is set to Hdmi. but no sound.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Also in the sound settings you will get an output device for each software that uses sound. Firefox, media player, VLC, etc. They will each have their own independant hdmi selector. It will only be available with the software running.
Tonyprzit

Post by Tonyprzit »

Thank you for the reply.
I looked at the application tab in the sound settings. I see the application at 100% sound but no options for output.
am I missing software?
jumanji

Post by jumanji »

Hi all...

I have an Radeon RX 560, no sound on HDMI no matter what, I also have a old Radeon HD 5770 and sound works over hdmi without problems.. (This is on Linux Mint 18.0 to 18.3, Ubuntu 16.04.x...)
RudeViper

Post by RudeViper »

This has been an issue since at least 16.04 for me.... EVERY SINGLE FIX posted in forums has failed... It also seems to affect mostly those with AMD cards...I am beginning to think that Ubuntu and Linux Mint are only interested in fixing the problem if your running Intel or nVidia cards. AMD no longer supports linux drivers - however the included Nouvau (sorry if it is mispelled) work just fine as far as the video goes...but would someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come up with a solution that ACTUALLY works to fix this issue.... Every solution posted here and in any other forum on this issue is complete garbage as they DO NOT WORK.... I absolutely HATE windows but I have no choice but to use it if I want audio to work on my monitor.
jumanji

Post by jumanji »

Tested a daily iso build of Ubuntu 18.04 to day and sound over hdmi(on Asus RX 560) is working for me now. :D
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

jumanji wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:45 am Tested a daily iso build of Ubuntu 18.04 to day and sound over hdmi(on Asus RX 560) is working for me now. :D
Thanks for posting this.
So, there is light at the end of the tunnel! :D

What kernel are you on there with your 18.04?
Is your GPU loading the Ubuntu drivers or are you using the AMDGPU-Pro drivers?

I am building a system for a guy now based on an 8 core Ryzen 7 on the AB350 mobo.
He purchased a Gigabyte RX560 rev 2.0 GPU for this build which looks like it is on "the bleeding edge" for Mint 18 right now.
I would prefer to put him on Mint 18 LTS, but his primary purpose for this system is for HTPC streaming and lightweight gaming.
He really needs to have the audio over HDMI.

I am certain the Mint people will get things working soon.
But I may have to do the initial install with Ubuntu 18.04. :(

Allen
jumanji

Post by jumanji »

I am not 100% sure but i think kernel version 4.15 is the one they'll use in the ubuntu 18.04, and in my test i only made a bootable usb-stick and in live-mode i used youtube.com to try out sound. I never installed on a harddrive, and because of that i never used amdgpu-pro driver...
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Short reply:

I am normally an LMDE user, but my HP Pavilion 580-131 with AMD RX580 wouldn't work out-of-the-box on Mint LMDE2 201701 -- and my efforts to upgrade various pieces of software were also not successful -- so I opted to try Mint 18.3. After installing 'steam', the video card worked just fine -- but no sound. After forcing the kernel to 4.15 -- the sound was working through HDMI! :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”