Oibaf and Padoka PPA's keep breaking on Mint 18

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Oibaf and Padoka PPA's keep breaking on Mint 18

Post by Dukenukemx »

Been using Oibaf or Padoka PPA's for a while on my machines and every so often something goes wrong when I update my system. This hasn't happened to Mint 18 for me until recently. The last time this happened was during Mint 17. Even though Mint is based on Ubuntu, something about these graphic drivers don't always mix well with Mint. Oibaf yesterday would cause my PC to not boot into xserver, while Padoka has held back packages and also breaks things. So of course I have to ppa-purge these drivers to boot back into desktop, without updated RadeonSi and Vulkan.

I can't be the only person running into these problems. Why does this keep happening? The PPA owners claim it's something on the Mint side that's doing it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Oibaf and Padoka PPA's keep breaking on Mint 18

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint may be based on Ubuntu but isn't identical. For example 18.x is "based on Ubuntu 16.04" but my 18.2 KDE doesn't ship with the same kernel as 16.04. I think it's the one shipped with 17.04.

SO they may have been doing the typical buck passing you find in open source projects or what they say may be legitimate. But it makes things harder to fix.

Maybe others can offer more advice but I won't touch 3rd party unsupported video drivers with a 10 foot pole anyway. ppa = unsupported by your distro, period. I wouldn't touch them in Ubuntu either.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Oibaf and Padoka PPA's keep breaking on Mint 18

Post by Dukenukemx »

I couldn't be the only person using these PPA's on Mint 18. I want the latest updated open source drivers.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”