AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 (RX550) Refusing to work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Georgi917

AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 (RX550) Refusing to work

Post by Georgi917 »

Dear all,

recently I bought the new ThinkPad e480 with the Radeon RX550 Graphics Card and installed linux mint shortly after I got my hands on it.
The distro is very nice and stable and everything works fine. However when I installed the drivers for the video card and rebooted, Cinnamon crashed and went into fallback mode. I could still boot into the system. The problem was it was behaving as if there were no drivers at all. The output of the inix -b command before the Installation of the AMD Drivers was :

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Device 5917
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 699f
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Kabylake GT1.5
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8

After I installed the drivers the output was :

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Device 5917
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 699f
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
GLX Renderer: N/A
GLX Version: N/A

I have looked into this thread: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059&start=40 and tried pretty much everything without success (updating the xorg to 1.19.5, running the script with the options ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=rocm and ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=legacy Installing different older versions), but everything resulted in the cinnamon crashing after the install and everything going back to normal after uninstall. I would be very thankful someone could provide me with some help on this issue. It is not a deal breaker for me, everything is running fine for the time, but I am just puzzled on what could be the cause for this problem, since everything on my system seems to meet the requirements. Kernel is x86_64 Linux 4.13.0-32-generic.

Regards
Georgi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 (RX550) Refusing to work

Post by Hoser Rob »

According to this ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMDGPU-Driver

... the correct driver for that card is amdgpu, not amdgpu-pro.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Georgi917

Post by Georgi917 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm According to this ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMDGPU-Driver

... the correct driver for that card is amdgpu, not amdgpu-pro.
it has been reported that the Radeon RX 550 graphics card does not work with the AMDGPU driver pre-installed in Ubuntu. To solve the problem you can install the AMDGPU-Pro driver (available for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS only).
I hade the amdgpu driver already installed and that didnt work also. But thank you for the link. Atleast now I get the Video Card Information displayed correctly
Georgi917

Post by Georgi917 »

Just a quick follow up. I tried installing the drivers on different Kernels going down to 4.10 Version, and then trying 4.15.4 Nothing seems to work. I am getting the same error. Only difference is, that the drivers compile successfully for 4.10 version, and fails for 4.15.4, which is to be expected, but even if it compiles for 4.10 as i said before, it still does not work. Cinnamon just goes to fallback mode again and glx render is not available. I also tried installing the amdgpu script from the amd page, which gave me llvim as render and mesa AMD 17.50. But then cinnamon complained again, that hardware acceleration is not available and I might have driver issues. To be hones I am completely puzzled on why it is not working, I initially thought this is a kernel issue, but apparently it is not. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Georgi
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Georgi917 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:19 pm... it has been reported that the Radeon RX 550 graphics card does not work with the AMDGPU driver pre-installed in Ubuntu. ...
AFAIK Ubuntu 16.04 and later don't ship with the amdgpu driver, it comes with radeon, and I'd lioke to see a link for that statement.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Georgi917

Post by Georgi917 »

Hi Rob,

the link is the one you sent me earlier. Anyway i tried also the amdgpu drivers from the link, but they didn't work also. The kernel will load the amdgpu driver and then the render software will be the one from Intel.

Regards
Georgi
zInvalid

Post by zInvalid »

Any progress on this? I have the same issue.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”