Mint 18.3 and feeding 3 external monitors via USB 3?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hagnif

Mint 18.3 and feeding 3 external monitors via USB 3?

Post by Hagnif »

Hi,

I have this laptop (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp ... /c04719799) it has a HDMI output and 2 USB 3 connectors. The GPU is the integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500.

How would you recommend being able to display to 3 external monitors? Are there known issues with Mint and pumping video out of USB 3?

Are there any recommended docks for Mint?

Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mrjimphelps

Re: Mint 18.3 and feeding 3 external monitors via USB 3?

Post by mrjimphelps »

Here are some USB-to-video adapters: https://www.newegg.com/USB-Display-Adap ... ry/ID-3046

My initial thought when seeing these products is that the response time won't be as instantaneous as if you are plugged in to the HDMI port. But I don't know that for sure, because I have never used a USB-to-video adapter.

If you can find a docking station / port replicator for your laptop, you will probably gain two or three hi-def digital video ports / DVI, HDMI, Display Port. Also, you might gain PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports, something that could come in handy if USB ever dies on your laptop. A docking station / port replicator would be your best option for connecting more than one external monitor.

If you can't find a docking station / port replicator, here's what I recommend you do: use the built in monitor as monitor #1. use the HDMI port for monitor #2 (external monitor). use a USB-to-HDMI adapter for monitor #3 (external monitor). If I found that the USB-to-HDMI adapter worked well, I would get another USB-to-HDMI adapter and use it for an additional external monitor. If I had two USB-to-HDMI adapters, I would use the direct HDMI connection as monitor #1 and the two adapters for monitors #2 and #3.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”