Nvidea Optimus was disaster for Linux. But has Amd Radeon R5 the same problem ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

Nvidea Optimus was disaster for Linux. But has Amd Radeon R5 the same problem ?

Post by carum carvi »

I am a newbie. Thinking of buying a Fitlet T mini pc. But this mini pc has a Amd Radeon R5 320 graphics card. Please help me to find out if this has the same problems as Nvidea Optimus graphics. I remembered that I was advised never to buy a pc with an Nvidea Optimus card because it would be a lot of trouble for LinuxMint users!

The following quote is what I have read about the Amd Radeon R5 card:

"The R5 series also supports automatic graphics switching between the integrated GPU and discrete GPU. Called Enduro, the technology supersedes AMD's Dynamic Switchable Graphics and is similar to Nvidia's Optimus."

Is this gonna give me problems ?

While typing this I realize that Fitlet T advertises with a Linux logo. But just to be sure I would like some advice from experienced users on the forum.
Is this Fitlet T a good choice for future LinuxMint releases? Wont there be troubles like with Nvidea Optimus because of same sort of graphics technology as with Nvidea Optimus?

This is the pc I am looking at to buy:
https://www.tinygreenpc.com/fitlet-t.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”