Display gone slow after swapping OS drive into another system, then back

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heycharger

Display gone slow after swapping OS drive into another system, then back

Post by heycharger »

Hi all

I don't know if this is the right place but the problem is most likely something about display drivers...

Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge about this particular subject:

I installed Linuxmint 18.2 64-bit on an Intel-based machine, needed to swap it into an AMD-based machine temporarily, then when I swapped it back into it's original box it's since had a really slow display. (How slow? Clicking the 'Menu' button and waiting 10-15 seconds for it to respond). I usually find that a Linux installation can cope well with this, but this one didn't (not that you'd want to be doing it often).

The initial installation machine is an Intel-based mini-itx board with an Atom D525 CPU on an Intel m/b which sysinfo says has D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx graphics. The AMD-based machine is AMD Athlon II X4 cpu in an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 which has ATI/AMD SB850 and ID5A14 chipset, plus a Geforce GT 730 graphics card.

It could be the display driver - is there a way to reset the video driver? There may be some problem caused by it having two drivers installed.

Another thing which must be noted is that the Atom machine is a headless NAS-type home server - and only way I access the GUI of it is to use a remote desktop client UltraVNC on a W7-64 machine. But nothing changed on the W7-64 PC for the new problem to be caused by it, and it used to have reasonable screen-response for a remote desktop.

NB - the Atom box is otherwise working fine with its network and home file serving roles.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Display gone slow after swapping OS drive into another system, then back

Post by mank_in »

From my experience, swap LM hard disk to another mobo/PC not a problem if you are using open source driver. Maybe launch driver manager will help.
What of output :

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
heycharger

Post by heycharger »

Hi mank_in

As you suggested, I typed 'inxi -Gx'...

Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x768
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Pineview
GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes

Any thoughts?

Thanks
HC
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

No idea
You are using a correct graphic driver.
Maybe reinstalling xorg :?:
heycharger

Post by heycharger »

Thanks for the reply mank_in

How do I re-install xorg?

Thanks again,
HC
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

assuming that atom box have working internet connection and didn't have nvidia proprietary driver installed. Launch terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Reboot
heycharger

*SOLVED* Re: Display gone slow after swapping OS drive into another system, then back

Post by heycharger »

Thanks mank_in

*SOLVED*

I did that, and the UltraVNC client is running the remote desktop much much quicker. Another thing which I found out - before this fix - was that my Mint laptop running Vinagre was having less problems than the W7/UltraVNC one in viewing this remote desktop. Maybe Vinagre was able to cope better than UltraVNC with what seems to have been a graphics problem, fixed by reinstalling xorg etc on the source/server.

Thanks
HC

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”