"Software Rendering Mode" after package update

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kerberos56

"Software Rendering Mode" after package update

Post by kerberos56 »

Today I updated two packages: Virtual Box and Jenkins.

When I rebooted the machine, it got as far as the Nvidia splash screen and then got stuck in an 'eternal loop'. The display just alternated between a blank screen and the Nvidia splash screen.
Fortunately, I was able to login over the network from another computer. Here is what I did:
1. After checking in /var/log/apt , I uninstalled the updates to Virtual Box and Jenkins. However, this had no effect on the 'infinite loop' behaviour.

2. After doing some digging on the internet, I uninstalled the Nvidia driver:
# dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
# sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
I then rebooted the machine. This cured the 'infinite loop' problem but left me with a blank screen.

3. I tried installing the 'noveau' drivers for Nvidia:
# sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
# sudo apt-get install nouveau-firmware
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
I then rebooted but it did not make the situation any better.

4. After doing some more research, I decided to remove the Virtual Box guest additions:
# sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox*
Now the machine boots up into "Software Rendering Mode", so I have at least made some progress :-)

Now for the system details:
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 (64-bit)

# inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA G96M [GeForce GT 120M] bus-ID: 02:00.0
Display Server: N/A drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa) FAILED: nouveau
tty size: 192x51 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
CPU~Dual core Pentium T4200 (-MCP-) speed~2000 MHz (max) Kernel~4.10.0-42-generic x86_64 Up~1:32 Mem~1893.3/3949.7MB

As you can see, it's quite an old machine. However, it has been running Linux Mint very well for the last year.
How can I get back to the original working state of the machine, prior to the Virtual Box upgrade?

I have already tried:
# sudo ubuntu-drivers list
# sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

However, this just landed my back in the 'inifinite loop' situation again.

This is what I see in the output of journalctl:
Mar 26 21:58:10 Asus-laptop systemd-modules-load[363]: Failed to insert 'nouveau': No such device
Mar 26 21:58:10 Asus-laptop systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 26 21:58:10 Asus-laptop systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Mar 26 21:58:10 Asus-laptop systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 26 21:58:10 Asus-laptop systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Perhaps I should try blacklisting Nouveau, as suggested in this post:

https://old.nixaid.com/nvidia-ubuntu/

I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the kernel modules but graphics is not my strong point. So any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kerberos56

Re: "Software Rendering Mode" after package update

Post by kerberos56 »

Good news! I have managed to solve my own problem.

Having got to the state where I had a GUI in "Software Rendering Mode", I decided to see if I could use Synaptic to install the specific Nvidia driver which I needed for my system

So I installed the 340.106 Nvidia driver and rebooted. My system is now working again!

It all goes to show that you need to be very careful when it comes to installing software updates which may impact the workings of the kernel or graphics system.

Regards,
BiLL

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”