Screen going blank randomly - requiring reboot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nrjones89

Screen going blank randomly - requiring reboot

Post by nrjones89 »

My system has a dual boot in place. On both the Windows 7 partition and the Linux Mint partition, the screen randomly goes blank. On Windows, I get a notification that the graphics card crashed, but it is usually able to recover. Occasionally results in blue screen. On Linux Mint, the screen goes blank (gray) and does not recover, leading me to reboot. I go into the system logs and I'm not able to find anything about the graphics card crashing or anything. When I go into sensors, it idles between 45-51C. It can't be the PSU because I have an 800w PSU and it's using well under that. Not sure what is causing this problem! How can I find out? Is there another way to log this problem on Linux? Seems to happen most when using Firefox or during gameplay, but it has also happened with only Text Editor open!

This did not start happening until about 2 months ago. Nothing has changed since then. I am using a Radeon R9 270 and the motherboard is Biostar TA785GE. If it's hardware, I am hoping it's the motherboard because I was planning on replacing that soon. Any way to diagnose the problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Screen going blank randomly - requiring reboot

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please run memtest present in grub menu to test your memory.
Use SMART to check your disk.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
nrjones89

Re: Screen going blank randomly - requiring reboot

Post by nrjones89 »

I have done both and all was completed without error...

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”