Two external monitors, LM 18.3, Dell Latitude 7480 with 1 hdmi port

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vonkad

Two external monitors, LM 18.3, Dell Latitude 7480 with 1 hdmi port

Post by vonkad »

Hello,

I would like to connect two external monitors to my Dell Latitude 7480. The computer has 1 HDMI port, no VGA ports.
I have no trouble connecting one of them. I bought Roline H HDMI -> 2xHDMI F (https://www.alza.cz/rozdvojka-hdmi-d94924.htm),
but it does not help much. The displays are either mirrored on both screens or the screens do not work at all.

lsusb and verbose xrandr attached.

Thanks for any help,

David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Two external monitors, LM 18.3, Dell Latitude 7480 with 1 hdmi port

Post by lsemmens »

Can't read the language in the link, but that cable looks like a double adaptor. I think that the best you'll get out of that will be a mirrored display.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
vonkad

Post by vonkad »

Oh, thanks. Is there some other "cable" I could buy to get more than a mirrored display ?
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

vonkad wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 am Oh, thanks. Is there some other "cable" I could buy to get more than a mirrored display ?
Don't think anything else is possible. It's not so much the cable but the output from your laptop Don't think there's a way to send two different signals out of the same connection. Mirrored it is. The only way of getting an extended display out of a laptop is to use its own screen as primary and send the extended out the hdmi or vice versa.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Not sure but something like this might be possible. You may be best asking these people.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:37 am Not sure but something like this might be possible. You may be best asking these people.
I suspect that's right, though you need to go into the filters and select 'Ubuntu' under "Operating System Support". A quick search of "ubuntu usb graphics card" indicates that DisplayLink has models supporting ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 with USB 3, which may be important.

As mentioned those HDMI cable splitters only do that so you're only going to get a mirrored display from one video card.

It kind of depends on what you're wanting to do because I don't really see how you're going to get great real time video performance through a USB port.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”