"Software Rendering Mode" with Radeon R7 250X

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tankbard
Level 1
Level 1

"Software Rendering Mode" with Radeon R7 250X

Post by tankbard »

I recently upgraded my kernel to find that I am now running in software rendering mode. I have looked on the forums to find that there is no driver support for my particular combination of kernel + graphics card. Since I do not remember my computer's performance always being this bad, I am looking to downgrade my kernel/drivers so that my video card can be used properly again. How would I go about identifying the combination of settings that would work for me? (I know that there's no substitute for actually performing the installation and seeing if it works, but I should like to at least be in the right ballpark and/or have a list of feasible options.)

Code: Select all

>> inxi -SGx
System:    Host: brochantite Kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz
           GLX Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
I set up this box on the 2nd of February this year (Mint 18.3, Kernel 4.10), so I don't think I should need to drop down to 17.x. I remember fussing around with amdgpu-pro and mesa-glx before getting things running relatively smoothly, and I think it was the latter that I settled on? But my memory is poor, and this configuration process frequently feels like stacking things in random orders and very carefully Not Touching it once some permutation works.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: "Software Rendering Mode" with Radeon R7 250X

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can always boot to the old working kernel by booting it choosing the grub advanced boot option.
Once you boot it, you can delete the non working kernel
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
tankbard
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Software Rendering Mode" with Radeon R7 250X

Post by tankbard »

Tried that, along with a laundry list of other things (trying various versions of amdgpu, messing with different combinations of the drivers that looked relevant). Eventually I just gave up and ordered an NVIDIA card (GTX 1050), which has been working just fine out of the box.

Thanks for your assistance.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”