Flickering Display, Wrong Distro? RESOLVED!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Flickering Display, Wrong Distro? RESOLVED!

Post by wind_rose_2 »

I have been having issues with connecting to the Internet and have also had screen flickering while using Google Chrome and am almost ready to install a new distro due to my frustration so l have been wondering if Cinnamon 19.3 is the wrong one for my laptop and if l shouldn't reinstall Mint in a different distro ,Mate? or ???

[sudo] password for dave:
System: Host: linuxmint18 Kernel: 4.13.0-39-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: LENOVO product: 20266 v: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
Mobo: LENOVO model: Yoga2 v: 31900058WIN
Bios: LENOVO v: 76CN43WW date: 03/30/2015
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-4210U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9577
clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 1099 MHz 2: 1011 MHz 3: 1010 MHz
4: 1012 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-39-generic
Network: Card: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 128.0GB (26.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: RTMMA128JHV4MWX size: 128.0GB temp: 40C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 110G used: 25G (24%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.50GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 219 Uptime: 6:30 Memory: 3806.4/7893.4MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 2.2.35
dave@linuxmint18 ~ $ sudo lshw -C video
[sudo] password for dave:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 0b
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:43 memory:b0000000-b03fffff memory:a0000000-afffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
dave@linuxmint18 ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Flickering Display, Wrong Distro?

Post by tovian »

You have almost answered your own question.

Go ahead and download a different distro then run it as a live session: boot from the CD/flash-drive but DO NOT install it. See if a different distro corrects the problem "automagically". If yes, then you know more about the current issue and more about what to look for to correct it (or - you can just stay with a different distro by doing the install).

Although it may not be "right" recommendation... if this was my problem I would download/test Mint-17.3-KDE. Again, the most important question you must answer first is, "Does a different distro fix the original problem". Because 17.3-KDE is so solid and has so many features embedded it is a good candidate for comparisons to other distro's.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

As i Had a current version of Mate on a memory stick l loaded that up and as soon as l connected to the internet the issue returned...so it is not the distro...Thinking WiFi adapter card??
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

wind_rose_2 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:45 pmThinking WiFi adapter card??
that could be the problem with connecting to the Internet... did the PC come with Linux or someting else (like Windows)? Did you have connectivity issues before you installed Lenox?
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

it was brand new with Win 10 that l just wrote over (l had enough of Microsoft).
The comp. had been working absolutely perfect since Dec last and the only glitch l seemed to have was my desktop screen would be seen for a microsecond when l had connected to a TV with an HDMI cord and l just put that down to being the cord connection. Then the other night l had been streaming a TV program using my "TunnelBear" Vpn..all was well, the program ended and l shut the tv off, unplugged the HDMI cable and then went to check email..that's when the Popup appeared saying l had to connect to the internet. The internet connection became intermittant ..like a switch..on then off l would reconnect then a few seconds later it would go off again.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

This is fast getting beyond my Linux expertise. If this was my system I believe I'd be looking at the stability of the VPN. I'm not saying that's the problem, but from your description that's what I'd investigate first. I would try eliminating the VPN totally - just to see what effect that has on the issue(s).

Animal House
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

Did that first as that was my first thought but l run the same VPN on several different machines and never had any issues.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Keep your focus... you're not trying to solve an issue on OTHER machines - just on this one. When you eliminated the VPN - and connected to the internet on a normal (Non-VPN) link - what effect did that have on your internet connectivity on this (problem) machine?

I know the tendency to think that the connection is OK if it is working on other computers, but that may actually take you away from finding the one little thing that's causing the problem on THIS MACHINE. Computer-problem troubleshooters - like yourself - have to be really "picky" with how they do things. Otherwise, there is a great tendency to overlook (or rush past) some very important detail.

Also, I think you have two different problems. You won't get as much help - or attract the right "experts" - when you try to work two problems in a single thread. I'd recommend you split this thread but change the title so it reflects the "connectivity" issue only. Start a new thread/topic for the "screen" problem - and be sure to use the best title you can come up with so you attract the proper "experts".

If it turns out, in the end, that there really was only one problem you haven't abused the forums by seeing it as two problems and attacking it that way.

Animal House
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

Way ahead of you..check this one ..."Wi-Fi Network Authentication" keeps popping up and as you said it may be two issues and l had thought the Distro may have been the one problem but l believe it to be the Network Card . I will try decommissioning the VPN and try it again just to double check.
Would you suggest totally removing it or just disabling the VPN? I have also disabled Bluetooth.
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

I don't want to jinx it but it has been an hour and l haven't had to reconnect to the internet!! l have just disabled the VPN and the Blutooth so now l will put one on and try it then the other then both and see which combination triggered the issue. Then once l find out what caused it l will have to figure out why??? Something must have been altered as l have been using both on a regular basis and never encountered the problem before. One thing for sure..it wasn't the distro!
Thanks one and all who have shown a great deal of patience with this nuby!
Dave
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Good show! You are doing the proper (type of) testing: change only one thing, then test, then change something else, then test again, etc.
If you do that carefully and thoroughly you will eventually isolate the problem, then you can start a productive search for a specific solution.

On the problem machine I would totally eliminate the VPN. That way you have a "clean" test - and you can always put it back when you're ready.
Better to do the "overkill" on the reboots. They don't take that long, and you can be more certain that something in cache or ram does not contaminate the next test.

Animal House
wind_rose_2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wind_rose_2 »

tovian wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:48 pm Good show! You are doing the proper (type of) testing: change only one thing, then test, then change something else, then test again, etc.
If you do that carefully and thoroughly you will eventually isolate the problem, then you can start a productive search for a specific solution.

On the problem machine I would totally eliminate the VPN. That way you have a "clean" test - and you can always put it back when you're ready.
Better to do the "overkill" on the reboots. They don't take that long, and you can be more certain that something in cache or ram does not contaminate the next test.
I am running Firefox Browser without the VPN and Chrome with it on simultaneously.
A reply received on another forum topic l initiated had done a thorough search of my system and had determined that my UFW (firewall) should be disabled and my router settings be strengthened . So far l have left the UFW in tact but changed the Router to WPA2-PSK and the security to AES

Things still holding this morning but l have another issue with sound associated (NOT) with a KDE program. Setting up a new thread on that!
Dave

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”