Really weird problem after installing amdgpu_pro driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RIGHT N0W

Really weird problem after installing amdgpu_pro driver

Post by RIGHT N0W »

Hello

After installing amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261 driver and rebooting i got a black screen with a blinking cursor. I opened command line with ctrl+alt+f1, removed (renamed) file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-pro.conf and after another reboot the system came back to life.

I wanted to see if the driver is there so i tried few commands and got these outputs:
$ inxi -Gx
drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
$ glxgears
4066.732 FPS
$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 4.5.13496 Compatibility Profile Context 17.40.3.12

OpenCL also seems to work.

But when i tried running a heavy 3d application (UE4), it gave me this error:
Cannot create OpenGL context. Check that the drivers and hardware support at least OpenGL 4.3
also when i tried opening a website that has a canvas with 2d graphics in it, an entire tab crashed with message "Gah. Your tab just crashed."

what is the problem and how can i fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Really weird problem after installing amdgpu_pro driver

Post by Hoser Rob »

You need to provide some more info, post the text output of inxi -Fxz.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
RIGHT N0W

Post by RIGHT N0W »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:53 am You need to provide some more info, post the text output of inxi -Fxz.
System: Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT [Radeon R9 290X] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series GLX Version: 4.5.13496 - CPC 17.40.3.12 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Your problem is that amdgpu-pro isn't the right driver for your card ... new users sometimes assume you just want the latest driver, which may work in WIndows but not Linux. Your graphics card uses the open source driver radeon and that's it.

According to this ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver#note1

... you should also be using a 4.13 series kernel, which is also recommended for meltdown/spectre updates in 18.3. Go to Update Manager and installl the newest recommended 4.13 kernel.

I haven'tused AMD graphics in a while so I'm fuzzy on reverting the driver to radeon, which you'll have to do, but read this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/913612/ ... ro-install
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
RIGHT N0W

Post by RIGHT N0W »

but does this radeon driver support OpenCL ? because before i installed amdgpu-pro i had "drivers: ati,radeon" in my inxi output but a program that uses OpenCL was saying "No OpenCL device found"
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don;t know if that driver supports the desired opengl level for that card, but I DO know that it's the only Linux driver available for it. It's EITHER radeon, amdgpu, or amdgpu-pro for AMD cards in Mint 18.x or any Linux distro that's as new. You can't just install the newest one.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”