Does disabling the open-source NVIDIA driver (nouveau) help in power saving

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mandyan

Does disabling the open-source NVIDIA driver (nouveau) help in power saving

Post by mandyan »

I am using an Acer Nitro 5 Laptop with NVIDIA GTX 1050 discrete graphics. I intend not to use the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. Am pretty much happy with the Intel's i915 driver (Tear free + Hardware accelerated video decoding). Am curious to know, will disabling the open source NVIDIA driver (nouveau) result in power saving in the laptop? or is there anything else I can do which will completely disable the discrete graphics which should result in power saving?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Does disabling the open-source NVIDIA driver (nouveau) help in power saving

Post by Hoser Rob »

mandyan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 pm...s. I intend not to use the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. ....
Why the heck not? Your computer, like any other, is already chock full of proprietary firmware. What difference would using a closed Nvidia driver make?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Don't think the GPU driver will have a great affect on power consumption - install tlp it will do more.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install tlp
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If you use this terminal command: inxi -Gx, you will see that the Intel driver is in use, and that the nouveau driver (and others) is "unloaded". Meaning it has not been loaded into the kernel.

So, no worries! Already done! :-)
mandyan

Post by mandyan »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am
mandyan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 pm...s. I intend not to use the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. ....
Why the heck not? Your computer, like any other, is already chock full of proprietary firmware. What difference would using a closed Nvidia driver make?
In fact, I tried installing NVIDIA proprietary drivers initially. Unfortunately, am unable to remove the horrible screen tearing completely even after so many configuration trial and errors, tried various solutions posted on Linux forums. Hence I made that decision.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

please post the output of

uname -r
and

inix -Fxz
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
mandyan

Post by mandyan »

kc1di wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 am please post the output of

uname -r
and

inix -Fxz
Output of uname -r: 4.10.0-38-generic

Output of inix -Fxz:

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Device 591b bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1c8d bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.03hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”