How to switch between NVidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmph

How to switch between NVidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU

Post by kmph »

Back in the old days, I remember, I'd go to the Driver Manager, install NVidia drivers, and then NVidia icon would pop up in the taskbar, allowing me to switch between "low power" Intel integrated GPU and "high performance" NVidia GPU. It wasn't fully convenient, since switching between the two required logging off and on, but it was working.

This time I had to do a fresh install. I went to the Driver Manager and installed Nvidia drivers. But no Nvidia icon showed up in the taskbar! I can see Nvidia X Server Settings in the menu - but I'm not sure if and how may I switch between the two CPUs:

I wonder what am I using now? Am I constantly using NVidia GPU? I would suppose I'm using constantly using Intel integrated graphic because of inxi output below.

But I learned this is likely not the case. To check this I installed TrackMania Nations Forever through Wine, which I remember, was running (reasonably) well on highest graphics settings on Nvidia GPU but not on Intel integrated graphics. Reasoning I'm likely using Intel, I expected failure... but no failure. The game was running on highest graphics settings as good as it used to.

Am I to reason that this GUI to switch between Nvidia GPU and Intel GPU was abandoned because the new Nvidia drivers do this automatically depending what app I am running (like on WIndows?) If so, where can I found the relevant per-app rules? If not, how to reconcile inxi output with the fact that the game was running well?

Code: Select all

m@m-X555LJ ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: m-X555LJ Kernel: 4.4.0-124-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X555LJ v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X555LJ v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: X555LJ.504 date: 08/04/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8787
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2338 MHz 2: 2360 MHz 3: 2354 MHz 4: 2352 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce 920M] bus-ID: 04:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-124-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (2.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST500LM030 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 230G used: 9.1G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 462M used: 115M (27%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2500
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 1:11 Memory: 1216.8/3853.9MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
kmph

Re: How to switch between NVidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU

Post by kmph »

I guess the problem no longer exists.

One more reboot and the familiar icon showed up in the taskbar. Also the option to switch between GPUs appeared in nvidia x server settings. Didn't know I was supposed to reboot TWICE after installing the drivers...
mlbl

Re: How to switch between NVidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU

Post by mlbl »

Hi,

Thought i'd share an issue i've been facing after playing around with my HP 550-142d PC where the onboard graphics was never enabled, thought i'd play around with it and use it today. Had a lot of issues where i get a blinking prompt when booting up, removed the intel drivers through apt, reinstalled even in recovery mode doesn't work.

What then worked after that was to remove the nvidia drivers too (in recovery), intel ones too. Then reinstall intel drivers. Reboot, reinstall nvidia drivers, reboot.

Then set prime-select to on-demand, reboot. You should now see in your cinnamon tray area the option to select between intel/nvidia/ondemand profiles.

Hope this helps someone (and my own future self in case I hit the same problem again!).

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”