[SOLVED] AMD XFX Radeon R5 220

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr.travo

[SOLVED] AMD XFX Radeon R5 220

Post by mr.travo »

EDIT- Running Mint Cinnamon with 4.13.0-41 kernel

There is so much information about these cards. I just picked up an older R5 220 at BB today for $50. How can I get this guy installed? AMD's site is no help and this cards seems to be too old for the AMD PRO and too new for the open source legacy? :?:

Having a hard time figuring this out. I have never installed one in Linux so I knew it was going to be an "adventure" :roll:

~T
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: AMD XFX Radeon R5 220

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

Thank you for that! Yes, I was looking at that page this afternoon. The problem is that I bought the Radeon R5 220 and the closest one on the list of compatible devices is the R5 340. I saw mine listed on one of the download links, but when I went to that page, it wasn't listed (and a few others). I know this is not going to be as simple as it is in Windows, so I want to make sure I am getting the right software before I get knee deep in a reinstall, LOL! I am just getting enough experience to get myself in trouble if I'm not careful :mrgreen:

~T
b2a8r1

Post by b2a8r1 »

i have the same card as a backup it is a rebranded 5450 use the mesa-hwe stack with the xserver-xorg-video-radeon-hwe-16.04 it should work fine
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

b2a8r1 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:24 pm i have the same card as a backup it is a rebranded 5450 use the mesa-hwe stack with the xserver-xorg-video-radeon-hwe-16.04 it should work fine
Thank you- that's good news! However, that is the file that I try and install and it has a broken package. In Synaptic it gives me a crap ton of grief and won't install. Last night I went through the CLI and got it to install but then it goofed up my screen (as pictured).

I was able to backdoor the "uninstall" because it actually wouldn't work at all after a while. I could click on "fix broken packages" in Synaptic, but it would error with
changes.jpg
error.jpg
I have never run into this before...
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

Funny thing is- there are no held packages. I even checked through aptitude and apt as well.

~T
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

Thank you for your help, but I am going to return this graphics card tomorrow. I have a better idea and will be starting a new topic.

Marking topic as solved.

~T

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”