Intel HD graphics 4600 resolution

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Geocheats2

Intel HD graphics 4600 resolution

Post by Geocheats2 »

I have searched and I can't seem to find the solution to this problem

I have the system listed below, graphics look like they work fine, apart from the resolution on my main monitor over VGA.
I ts max resolution is 1440x900 16:9 and while I use mint over a live USB it works just fine but when I install mint on the HDD it doesn't recognize the monitor correctly. Current max available resolution 1024x768 4:3. There also seems there is some kind of tearing when scrolling down a long webpage.

Code: Select all

inxi -SMCGx
System:    Host: george-desktop Kernel: 4.13.0-41-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: H81M-DGS R2.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P1.60 date: 07/23/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4770K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27991
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 3822 MHz 2: 3760 MHz 3: 3815 MHz
           4: 3664 MHz 5: 3805 MHz 6: 3748 MHz 7: 3723 MHz 8: 3700 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz, 1024x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Steps i have followed in chronological order

Remove old Nvidia drivers
Install by force something that looked like Intel drivers
install Mate desktop
RE-install Linux mint
updated to latest version from Update Manager
install Mate desktop
write this post

edit: When i restart the pc firefox looks like it crashed, and it didn't shutdown gracefully

On a different topic, I would like to change the speed of my ethernet NIC from 100mbps to 10mbps,
if anyone knows?
(i haven't looked around for this but its not important if I can't use my monitor)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Intel HD graphics 4600 resolution

Post by Hoser Rob »

Geocheats2 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 am... Steps i have followed in chronological order

Remove old Nvidia drivers
Install by force something that looked like Intel drivers
install Mate desktop
RE-install Linux mint
updated to latest version from Update Manager
install Mate desktop
write this post...
The "Install by force something that looked like Intel drivers" looks a bit a scary. Was it intel-microcode from Driver Manager? Hope so ... that's not a driver, it's a CPU firmware update. It goes there in Ubuntu and hence Mint because that's just where they put proprietary code. Intel doesn't do Linux closed binary drivers so you aren't going to see anything in Driver Manager. There aren't any others you should install.

Installing Mate over Cinnamon is also a bad idea, and wouldn't have solved this because it occurs below DE level. I'd just do a clean reinstall again, with ONE DE, and start anew.

After that I'd search "ubuntu 16.04 intel haswell resolution" and I always, always favor answers from askubuntu or ubuntuforums. Most of those blogs many beginners cite here are rubbish. But I don't have any good answers at the moment.

Also, how'd you end up with nvidia drivers if you have no nvidia card? You need to take a deep breath sometimes with this stuff and not just blindly cut and paste. ANd only change one thing at a time.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Geocheats2

Post by Geocheats2 »

THANKS for the directions,

The hard disk came from another PC so that's why the Nvidia drivers, using the search term you provided I saw on ubuntu forums one way to add the resolution manually, does that sound reasonable to you?
Geocheats2

Post by Geocheats2 »

I did force the proper resolution and everything works like a charm

For future reference, I followed this guide

https://samuelmartin.wordpress.com/2012 ... ntu-12-04/

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”