Linux graphics driver for intel integrated gpu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
romainl

Linux graphics driver for intel integrated gpu

Post by romainl »

Hi,
I have an 8th generation i5 CPU and when I use it with Linux Mint it runs with software rendering mode and the resolution is low. I read in the linux mint release notes that the package xserver-xorg-video-intel was obsolete and should be uninstalled. Intel says that the operating system should provide the drivers so I can't get it from them and the drivers menu on linux mint only shows the microcode for the CPU. All my packages are up to date and everythings works normally on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. What can I do ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Linux graphics driver for intel integrated gpu

Post by MintBean »

Generally speaking, Intel integrated graphics should be fully accelerated out of the box using the pre-installed open source drivers. As your CPU is very new, it may require updating to a newer kernel or waiting for an update to the open source drivers.

Mint 19 should be out very soon. Maybe that will solve your problem.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

romainl wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 pm everythings works normally on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. What can I do ?
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS ships with the 4.15 kernel, which is what you need for coffee lake cpu's. Mint currently uses the 4.13 Kernel. 4.15 is available in update manager as an optional install. You can try it sure but I think you'll be better waiting for Mint 19 as MintBean said... if you do elect to try it be sure that the grub menu is accessible when you first boot mint and you understand how to boot to the earlier installed kernel before the attempt.
romainl

Post by romainl »

Hi,

The update manager says that everything is up to date but I can see there is a linux-image-4.15.0-13 in the repos. How can I manually update the kernel ?

Thanks for your answers
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Hi, open Update Manager, click on View, click on Linux Kernels, read the blurb (it is worth reading!) before clicking through, and then select the 4.15 series and finally the latest version number in that series (4.15.0-22 at time of writing). Hit the install button. Reboot. It should boot to the newly installed kernel.

1) Double check that all other updates have been installed before doing this.
2) Set up timeshift so you have at least one pre updated kernel backup to go to.
3) As advised make sure you know how to access grub in case of any issues booting.

Coffee-lake intel graphics from what I've read should be fully supported in kernel 4.15. If you have problems with the 4.15 kernel then it appears there are ways and means of getting it working with the 4.13 kernel or some of the other advice may get it working with 4.15 - e.g viewtopic.php?f=59&t=261389
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”