Assign workspaces on 2 of 3 monitors

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nuno21

Assign workspaces on 2 of 3 monitors

Post by nuno21 »

Hello all,

I am currently using Cinnamon as desktop environment. Everything works pretty good. I am just not able to modify the behaviour of workspaces despite a lot of internet researches.

I work with 3 monitors and use 4 or 5 workspaces.
I saw in the configuration that we can apply workspace only on the primary monitor if we want to. But what I am trying to do is quiet the opposite: I would like to have my left screen fixed and apply the workspaces on the 2 other monitors.
(The left screen is not my primary monitor but I don't mind To make it be if necessary to achieve my goal. )

Is there a conf file I need to modify? Any extension to install? Or do I need to switch to another window manager?

Thank you for your help. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Assign workspaces on 2 of 3 monitors

Post by Hoser Rob »

No DE that Mint uses will do this, and the only WM I know of that wil is xmonad (here:)

http://xmonad.org

It's in the repos for 17.3 at least (just did an apt-cache search on my 17.3 machine). I wouldn't touch any WM or similar that wasn't from the repos.

And I cannot vouch for how well it'd integrate with Cinnamon. If you're going to do things like this you may want to have a backup ready ... you may bork things up to the point where you'd have to reinstall.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
nuno21

Post by nuno21 »

Hi Hoser Rob,

Thank you for the advices.
I don't know xmonad but I will try it. I also might try i3 (I ve heard great things about it), even if it doesn't seem easy to achieve my desired configuration. Just a little bit disappointed to eventually change my DE when it is so great and stable.

To be sure to not mess up with my DE, I will try these alternatives with VirtualBox.

Thanks
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

nuno21 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:36 pm To be sure to not mess up with my DE, I will try these alternatives with VirtualBox.

Thanks
That's a VERY good idea, not so sure Cinnamon will play nice with other WMs.

BTW I use a dual monitor setup and I just put a workspace switcher on the main panel, which is a lot easier than something like this.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
r-miller96
Level 2
Level 2

Post by r-miller96 »

It's been a couple years since this thread was created. New versions of Mint and Cinnamon have been released. I too have 3 monitors and wish to have 2 of them switch workspaces and leave the 3rd one static. I'm thinking of upgrading to 19.3 soon is this a feature that is available?
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor
Ram: 16397MB
DE: Cinnamon 5.0.6
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
Version : 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.86
ATA Samsung SSD 860 500gbs

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”