hi there

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hix
Level 1
Level 1

hi there

Post by hix »

I'm from portugal, i'm considering to change to linux mint.
I'm currently on windows. I have win 10 for over 1 and a half year now, and suddenly (with the last update of win 10 - that we cannot deny) my graphic card wont run.
Intel washed their hands - ''your card is not compatible with win 10''.
Toshiba did the same.

I'm furious.

I need the graphic card to WORK, my laptop has about 4 years.

If i can get everything working on linux i will convert right now!

So here i go, to dig all the forum for my newbie questions.

i'm hix, here i leave already my apologies for any further ''stupid'' questions that will certain occur.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: hi there

Post by phd21 »

Hi hix,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You can also do a search for "ubuntu 16.04 <exact graphics card make&model>". I've never installed Linux without searching that first, especially the graphics card and wireless card.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hi there hix,

Açorean-american here!

I would create a Live Mint USB flash drive and boot from that and see if your graphic card is recognized and works.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello hix and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
If you open a thread with your machine info IE video card info and machine type I'm sure someone will be able to help you get it going.
Good Luck and enjoy Mint :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
hix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hix »

Hey! Lots of replys while I was dining :)

Thank you all for starters!

I've installed a ubuntu iso on a flash drive. I was happy whit that, because it RAN like...very well
than i did the try out on ubunto - for me - still great, it came with firefox (big check - i use it on windows) thunderbird- also great; and for the open office, no problem, it is a copy of win office! (as the user experience - from a USB drive - all good)

Now, i see somewhere that the best ''distro'' for win users to get to linux is Mint, but i'm not achieving boot from the usb with the
linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit
as i did with the
ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64
... i dont know why.

as for the specs of my laptop:
https://screenshots.firefox.com/4Un3TIDc1pa6mN3Z/null
i dont know if this if enough.. but if not ill try to give more detailed info
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Did you verify the Mint ISO that you downloaded?
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

Try using Rufus or MultiBoot in Windows. They are very reliable in creating Live USB drives.
https://rufus.akeo.ie
http://multibootusb.org
hix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hix »

I'm doing the rufus again, but this page https://linuxmint.com/verify.php is king of a lost place for win users. That worries me.
Does any of you think (like my friends) that my pc is just garbage?! I'm just quoting one of my friends: "buy a new laptop".
I'm not very familiar with code. I do use mainstream software, and i'm not sure if they will work on linux.
So, am i on a lost quest?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

hix wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pmDoes any of you think (like my friends) that my pc is just garbage? ! I'm just quoting one of my friends: "buy a new laptop".
If I understand what you said (your computer is 4 years old?), then no, I doubt that it is garbage, and I think that Linux Mint will run on it just fine. My home computer is 9 years old, and the laptop I am using at this moment is 11 years old. Both are running Linux Mint. And I have installed a different version of Linux on a computer that had Windows 98 on it when I got it. And it is common when I install Linux Mint for a friend on a computer that was running Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8, that the owner of that computer will say, "Wow, this is faster than it ever was even when it was brand new."
hix wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pmI'm not very familiar with code. I do use mainstream software, and i'm not sure if they will work on linux. So, am i on a lost quest?
No, you are not on a lost quest. You are leaving a lost quest (Windows). You don't have to be familiar with code at all to use Linux. I have done a little coding, but don't need it to use Linux. And a half dozen or more of my family members, none of whom have ever done any coding, are using Linux and are quite happy with it. As far as mainstream software, some of it can be run in Linux using Wine and a few other techniques. But you don't need to run Windows programs. Just about any function you were doing on Windows, there is an equivalent native Linux program. Instead of PhotoShop, you would use Gimp and possibly some others. Instead of Microsoft Office, you would use LibreOffice (others are also available). Instead of Windows Media Player, you would use VLC, or Totem, or any of several other media players. As far as web browsers, there's Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and many more. About the only browsers you might have been using on Windows that aren't available in Linux are Internet Explorer and Edge, and I don't know why anybody would want to use those anyway. For FTP file transfers, there's Gftp and several others. For messaging, there's Pidgin, which will do all of the popular messaging formats. Skype is available on Linux, but there are a number of choices that are better for a number of reasons, one being that they don't have anything to do with Microsoft and therefore don't spy on you. Steam has several thousand games available for Linux. There is lots of good native Linux software available, and it's all free. Also, most of it comes with better support than you will find in the Windows world, and nearly all of that is also free. People who move to Linux often comment, "Wow, I should have done this years ago!" I started collecting comments like that from the forums, and that file is now up to 32 pages.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
hix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hix »

jimallyn wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:34 pm
I started collecting comments like that from the forums, and that file is now up to 32 pages.
:lol:

I'm trying to find space on my drive to have both OS's for now, i want to do a smooth transition :roll:

I allready use: firefox, thunderbird, filezilla and vlc on windows!
My problem is mostly ArchiCAD :/ and the adobe suite.

But running mint from an old pen i see already the speed is amazing!
I just have to figure out why my keyboard is all scrambled - but i have a felling it has to do with the language setup.

I'm going to keep playing around with it for now, and finding solutions for the problems as they appear.
This is an amazing community also, so i'm sure i can find help if i get stuck!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ hix, .......
hix wrote:.
As per ... https://communities.intel.com/thread/11 ... 5&tstart=0 , your Intel HD Graphics 3000 is not supported by Win 10 since the launch of Win 10 in 2015, likely because the OEMs preferred Win 7/8.1 users buying new Win 10 computers instead of upgrading to Win 10 for free, ie the OEMs purposely did not create new Intel HD Graphics 3000 drivers for Win 10.
....... You should have remained on Win 7/8.1. Try reinstalling Win 7/8.1 since Linux does not support ArchiCAD, Adobe Suite, many top games(eg Battlefield), etc. To re-activate Win 7, you need the COA Product Key.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Hi hix!
Your computer is a 'newborn baby' when it comes to Linux :) It is younger than both of my desktop and all four of my laptop computers running Linux. Windows 10 is becoming something of an unreliable rolling release for many users as it leaves hardware behind and becomes ever more unwieldy. Not seeing your hardware specs, I would begin by trying Mint Xfce which should run on almost any hardware.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

hix wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pm I'm doing the rufus again, but this page https://linuxmint.com/verify.php is king of a lost place for win users. That worries me.
I know it can be intimidating, but all you have to do is follow the instructions and if you don't understand something, ask us.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

If you still have Windows on your computer, try this webpage for a driver for your graphics:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com ... windows+10
hix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hix »

Hi JerryF,

i'm still on windows yes, i'm freeing up my drive to try and install linux in a partition. I've been booting from a flash drive to try mint.
I already did that page and many others out there. I've even uninstalled the controller / driver, disconnect from web, forced the older driver in compatibility mode to win 7 but the controller still has the inverted triangle with that exclamation point. And my final confirmation is that i still don't have openGL - therefor, no graphic card.

Apart from that.
I would be on mint right now if wine (hope i can name other software) ran ArchiCAD. I'm contacting friends to see if they know anyone who as achieved the compatibility. I find it very strange because some north Europe univs. use only open source software, and some students that did Erasmus there learned archicad - i remember this because we had a conversation on how everyone had open source software and we seemed rich people wearing windows. :mrgreen:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You could always keep a Windows installation in Virtualbox for ArchiCAD. A bit of googling does not suggest it works well in Wine
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I just popped in to say welcome, Hix, I'll leave you with the experts, though, Leigh
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

little googling their seem to be alot of open source alternatives to ArchiCAD.

Have you been able to find one that works for your needs? If not let me know ill construct a list for you of what I found.
hix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hix »

I just ended up with virtual box for archiCAD running in win 7
It does not play well in wine, it took a little work around - but it was easy! i just have to run virtual box for that piece of software.
I've seen there are open source options but, in this mater particularly i feel that Archicald has come a long way, and i cannot exchange it for any ''as so good"
Anyway, I'm a believer - i installed mint cinnamon and did not look back yet! i think i'm on it, like a month or so..
bottom line thought i'd be nagging a lot about software and the environment itself, but I'm just happy. :D
if there's a topic about ''newbies from windows'' i'd be glad to share my experience because i'm not all 'techy' and i managed it. So i wonder, why it took me so long. :!:

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”