[ABANDONED] Planar Monitor Cycles through red green blue gray

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

[ABANDONED] Planar Monitor Cycles through red green blue gray

Post by JerryF »

Hi all,

I'v searched high and low and can't find out why this Planar PL1910W monitor is cycling through red, green, blue, gray when I turn it on, either plugged with the VGA or DisplayPort cable, or even without a cable.

The history of the monitor in steps:
I had this connected to my Gateway desktop running 18.3 Mint and worked fine.
I then ordered another monitor for the Gateway.
The Planar monitor stayed unplugged in a box for a couple of months.
When I connected it to another 18.3 Mint computer, I got a message that said "no signal detected".
I then pressed the Auto button for 5 seconds to auto detect the input source (instructions from the manual).
That's when I got the cycling of red, green, blue, gray.

The Menu button, nor any other button responds. Only the Power button.

I've tried connecting it back to the original Gateway computer, but the monitor is still acting the same.

Can anyone help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Planar Monitor Cycles through red green blue gray

Post by roblm »

Did you try resetting the monitor to it's factory defaults.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hi roblm, thanks so much for replying!

I wish I could perform a factory reset to its default settings but the manual doesn't have that in it. Plus, any other Planar monitors instructions I've looked at and tried don't work.

:(
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I'm not familiar with Planar, but my Dell has a setting to reduce burn-in, selecting it just cycles red-green-blue-gray colors. Perhaps your monitor is in that mode?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

JerryF wrote:I wish I could perform a factory reset to its default settings but the manual doesn't have that in it. Plus, any other Planar monitors instructions I've looked at and tried don't work.
This user guide for the Planer PL1910W monitor shows a Reset option under Miscellaneous, on page 14, but I assume you already tried that:

http://www.planar.com/media/221669/mn-p ... l1910w.pdf
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hi greerd,

I'm not sure if it is or isn't. The manual is of little use. No mention of this cycle of colors.

I've tried turning it off then back on; I've tried unplugging it then turning it back on; I've tried a combination of buttons.

The most I get is the power button flashes.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

roblm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 pm
JerryF wrote:I wish I could perform a factory reset to its default settings but the manual doesn't have that in it. Plus, any other Planar monitors instructions I've looked at and tried don't work.
This user guide for the Planer PL1910W monitor shows a Reset option under Miscellaneous, on page 14, but I assume you already tried that:

http://www.planar.com/media/221669/mn-p ... l1910w.pdf
Thanks for catching that.

I should have been more precise with my wording. I have seen that section on resetting, but I can't get to the menu. None of the buttons work as they are supposed to, except the power button.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You may have already tried this method.

Is the OSD (on screen display) possibly locked, as mentioned on page 12 of the user guide. It says to press the Menu+Right Directional buttons to unlock.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

roblm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:34 pm You may have already tried this method.

Is the OSD (on screen display) possibly locked, as mentioned on page 12 of the user guide. It says to press the Menu+Right Directional buttons to unlock.
Yes, I have. I will try it again tomorrow. We are celebrating Memorial Day here and people are arriving.

I may try some incantations along with your suggestion. :wink:
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You may need to access the hidden Factory/Service Menu, if one exists for your monitor. This involves pressing/holding a specific combination of buttons. Check this link:

http://goughlui.com/2012/12/31/lcd-moni ... ory-menus/

The article mentions this info:
Burn-in test mode: this is normally a mode used for factory testing which cycles between solid colour screens at specific intervals for inspection purposes.

You could call Planer Technical Support to find out if a Service Menu exists.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

roblm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:24 pm You may need to access the hidden Factory/Service Menu, if one exists for your monitor. This involves pressing/holding a specific combination of buttons. Check this link:

http://goughlui.com/2012/12/31/lcd-moni ... ory-menus/

The article mentions this info:
Burn-in test mode: this is normally a mode used for factory testing which cycles between solid colour screens at specific intervals for inspection purposes.

You could call Planer Technical Support to find out if a Service Menu exists.
Wow roblm, this is great! I'll be trying this as more of a last resort if nothing else works.

I appreciate this very much!!!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

@robnlm,

Haven't tried your suggestions yet. I've been in contact by email with Planar, not sure how much help they're going to be. As soon as a company asks for a serial number, they say it's no longer under warranty. Here's the latest response from them:
Hello Jerry,

Based on the serial number provided, our system shows that this unit’s warranty expired back on 4/24/2015.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Test with a different cable but same type. (If you are using VGA, use a different VGA cable)

2. Test with a different type of cable. If you are using VGA, test with DVI, and vice-versa.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, then an internal component in the display may be faulty due to its age.

Let me know if you have any questions.
The last response was mine yesterday saying that I've tried those suggestions already. We'll see.

...faulty due to its age? Really? It's not even 4 years!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

roblm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:34 pm You may have already tried this method.

Hi roblm,

I've tried everything that the manual has, including what you suggested. No go. :(

The last email from Planar:
Hello Jerry,
Our displays do not have a service menu. If pressing the menu button to get the OSD menu doesn’t work, there won’t be any button special commands to unlock or provide extra functions.

Since you have verified by swapping computers and cables that this issue isn’t a source issue, it is likely a faulty internal component or a firmware failure.
I've asked them to close the issue.

I may take the monitor to a local place that I go by on the way to work. I'll ask how much they'll charge to look at it and how much it'll be if they can fix it.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [ABANDONED] Planar Monitor Cycles through red green blue gray

Post by JerryF »

I went to a local place to see how much they'd charge me to take a look at the monitor. $35.00

Since I paid $89.00 for it new, it's not worth it to me. It'll find a home at Best Buy's recycle bin.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 pm I went to a local place to see how much they'd charge me to take a look at the monitor. $35.00

Since I paid $89.00 for it new, it's not worth it to me. It'll find a home at Best Buy's recycle bin.

Or perhaps it would be more therapeutic to relieve some stress:

pc-woes.gif

When you decide to purchase a new monitor, one brand I would consider is LG. This has been my choice for my last 5 monitors. They now range from 4 to 12 years old and all are working well, with no dead pixels, which LG excels at. Only one minor problem with a flimsy power button part, which I was able to fix myself.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

roblm wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:34 pm Or perhaps it would be more therapeutic to relieve some stress:

When you decide to purchase a new monitor, one brand I would consider is LG. This has been my choice for my last 5 monitors. They now range from 4 to 12 years old and all are working well, with no dead pixels, which LG excels at. Only one minor problem with a flimsy power button part, which I was able to fix myself.
I like your thinking! There have been times with other equipment that I've wanted to do that---believe me! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely consider LG. I've dealt with some of their phones, and love the resolution on them.

Fortunately, I'm not in need of a monitor to replace that one. The Planar was the original that my partner had with his home desktop. I bought him another monitor for the home desktop and wanted him to have the Planar with his work desktop. Because he doesn't use the work desktop very much, he said that he doesn't mind using an older monitor (4:3 ratio).

Side note:

I got the two desktops and one laptop for free.

I have the other desktop and a 5:4 ratio monitor as a set. I also have a Dell laptop. I'm hoping to sell those. The only thing I added was a $14.00 wireless card for the desktop.

Linux is a hard sell. I get people's interest with all the "good" things about Linux (it's free, has compatible programs, the updates are fast, etc.) but as soon as they ask "Can I run my favorite program XXX?" That's when I lose them.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”